PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How to knot thin “knottable” wire

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

How to knot thin “knottable” wire

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:26 am

Hi folks,

I usually use pretty thick flexible 40lb wire that knots well. I got some much thinner wire, knot-2-kinky, that I experimented with but couldn’t get anything like the same pull on the line without it cutting through the mono. Also I found knotting the flies a highly challenging task.

Can anyone suggest some knots I can try? The Slim Beauty I normally use is quite impossible.

I was thinking of, and have been testing, braid instead of mono for Snakehead which makes the knot that end more possible. I like the idea of thin wire and braid. It should be far less obvious that what I currently use. Although floating the stuff might be a challenge.

Anyway I’m keen to experiment so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

James9118

Re: How to knot thin “knottable” wire

Post by James9118 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:50 am

Hi Paul,

Have you tried a J-knot? I've used this quite extensively with thin wire (AFW) in the tropics. For the fly I use a Kreh not slip loop with just 2 turns.

Cheers, James

James9118

Post by James9118 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:28 am

that should say 'non slip'

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:56 am

American Fishing Wire? That stuff knots really well. I use a similar and easily obtained Korean equivalent. I can use Lefty Knot and Slim Beauty. It’s more the Knot-2-Kinky and SA stuff that doesn’t seem to knot and cuts mono.

I’ll see if I have some in my box.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:08 pm

Attachments
D036BBD0-D55E-4384-9946-F7DAA193F963.jpeg

Flycasting Definitions

James9118

Post by James9118 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:23 pm

I'd be interested to hear if the J-knot is any better for you with that wire. Easy test to do - get a test section of wire, tie your knot in one end and a J-knot in the other, then give them a smash test. What are you tying into it, nylon?

Cheers, James

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:58 pm

What are you tying into it, nylon?
Yep. It’s supposed to be .60mm but I’ve just measured it at .70mm. However the last time I tested it, it cut through the mono. That’s why I’m now thinking braid. Can go thinner and it should be stronger. Problem is I can’t make the wire knot tighten snugly with this stuff. And when I do try to tighten it fully it breaks!

They’re in business and people are using it so it must be possible. I suspect that they aren’t applying serous force to the leader. I love the idea of it because it’s skinny stuff in comparison to what I normally use.

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Paul,

I assume you tried an Albright knot?

With N2K type wires that are more slippery, make two "soft" U-turns in the wire before inserting the mono and beginning to make the wraps. Then dress and set the knot carefully by pulling on the wire both ways. Then trim both tags. That extra turn helps to keep the wire from slipping out.

I found slipping seems to be the main problem, not cutting the mono. But then again I am only using wire for 6' sharks, not snakeheads. :)
"Technique is the proof of your seriousness"

Wallace Stevens

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Thanks Gary. In other words with the wire, instead of a U, go around again? Have you had the wire break on the bend when seating? This was the problem I had with the Albright.

Have you tested to destruction using an electronic spring balance? I can’t remember now what I was getting but I do remember it being quite pathetic :D

If I’ve got that right with the wire I’ll tie some up and break them.

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Bendix

Post by Bendix » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi Paul

I’ve never used Not 2 Kinky wire myself, but I have seen a few Pike fishing videos on YouTube, where people use it.

About the knot attaching the fly, the guys in the videos usually say, that you are not supposed to tighten the knot to be completely snug and tight. Instead the knot is supposed to be a little “open” in order not to break. But It’ll still be strong enough to land the fish… Although usually Pike, and not Snakehead.

Like I said, no personal experience, but maybe it’ll help you out?

/Bendix

Return to “Tackle”