PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Depth sounders/ fish finders

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:13 pm

So I've bought a 12 ft tinny and 15hp 4 stroke. I have Ti''s electric and I'm going to build a bed, rod rack and camping roof/tarp.

Echo sounders. What do you recommend? I think this could be fascinating and will lift my game.

I have a trade account in the UK and it may even be cheaper to buy here. I'm thinking 2-400 quid.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:06 am

I have used a Humminbird 798si on my kayak for the last few years. The ability to use side imaging to find structure and fish without needing to travel over their heads is invaluable. Standard sounders only see downwards, so you'd spook fish just finding them. Side imaging let's you read the water up to about 50m away without alerting the fish to your presence.

It's the sounder I would recommend for any fly fisherman.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:25 am

Some images captured by the sounder for your perusal:

The top two windows are down-imaging (L) and standard sonar (R). The bottom window is the side imaging window.

What you're seeing here is a launching ramp from a ship builder. Standard sonar shows a blurred structure. Down imaging shows quite clearly that it's man-made. The side imaging shows that it extends well to the sides of my kayak.

A school of snapper about 15m to my right. I pulled a 90cm+ fish from that school. Normal sonar did not show me these fish at all so I would have completely missed them without side imaging.

A school of snapper. The side imaging shows that I needed to cast to my right to catch these fish.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:52 am

Was wondering about this recently: Do you guys see any point in getting a fish finder for boat fishing for brown trout in a lake? I guess I won't be able to spot trout with it, will I? And since it's mostly one particular lake I'm thinking about it mig be more economical to plunge the depth and draw a depth chart - or am I missing something?

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:58 am

How much did you pay for it Graeme?

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:59 am

Look perfect. I'm most interested to find hidden underwater snags and Sebarau. Are the maps easy to install/expensive?

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:57 pm

It was at least 4 years ago that I bought it and the prices in Aussie dollars have varied greatly since then. We also get stung REALLY badly by the distributors and the company getting my model into the country. I paid ~AUD$1200 for mine when the retail price was $1800, but you can get the US model right now for about US$600 from the US.

As far as installing maps: a piece of cake. You buy the SD card with the map you need for your area and plug it in to the unit. I never used maps on mine though, preferring to simply store my own waypoints as I went along.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Nick

Post by Nick » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:31 pm

I doubt that there are any maps available for Malaysian lakes, but if there were they would be easy to install....

I have a similar unit, without the side scan. I wish that I had side scan! For any fishing where you are hitting structure, it is amazingly useful. Depending on the unit and how it is set up, you can mark individual fish, even fish as small as trout. I catch more fish using it than I do without it.

Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Great thread, thanks! I'm looking at one for my own kayak.

Graeme - those images look really astounding, but I suppose they should at that price. There's one at half price in a Danish webshop right now, and it's "only" 500 GBP :-). Well out of my intended pricerange.

Right now, I'm considering this model: https://buy.garmin.com/da-DK/DK/marine/ ... 48128.html

GPS is important to me as I'd like to plot my drifts.

Lars

Davyfly

Post by Davyfly » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:32 am

Buy one here from the US, way cheaper than costs in the EU. They may not ship for you outside of the States, l am not sure about that. If you have a contact here in the US that would be good, send them the cash to get it and they can ship it to you via US Postal service, UPS or Fed Ex.
Check out Cabelas and Bass Pro websites.

The technology with those today is amazing, not to say it will increase your odds at catching the fish, but thats another matter.

DW

Return to “Tackle”