PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

HT saltwater

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

HT saltwater

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep the GT125 is perfect in 6 for fishing. This is the line I'm using most of the time.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
MST
Answers: 0

HT saltwater

Post by MST »

Hi again guys.
Despite the Danish tax authorities threw a spanner in the wheel, with a claim of extra tax of 800 Euro, I have found another way of getting the rod :)
This means that I also need a new reel, and I would like to ask your opinion on an appropriate weight (and possibly make) for the 6 weight rod.
I have no intention on spending the same amount of money for the reel, as for the rod, but it should be useful for SW fishing.

Thanks for your very useful comments.

Morten
Ré_

HT saltwater

Post by Ré_ »

It balances nicely with reels in the 150-170 gram range, like the Vosseler DC4, Danielsson Original 2W, F3W 4seven, Tibor Backcountry Wide, etc.
Balance is a very personal thing though. Some may prefer lighter (someone has to buy those ultralight Waterworks reels :ninja: ), some heavier.
petevicar

HT saltwater

Post by petevicar »

Hey Morton
Get yourself a Hatch 5 Plus.

Pete
IANACI
Svend

HT saltwater

Post by Svend »

Hi Morten,

As Ákos said, there should be ZERO import duties for a purchase inside of EU borders. If you got stung by Danish custom authorities there must have been some sort of misunderstanding.
As for the reel, you should keep in mind that the GT125 takes up a lot more space than your average floating #6WF, and a whole lot more space than say a standard intermediate shootinghead.

Cheers, Svend
MST

HT saltwater

Post by MST »

Thanks friends.
The camera lense was bought in USA, hence the tax issue.
I was not aware of the difference needed in line capacity for the Barrio. Thanks for that Svend.
Anybody having an idea as to where I can buy a Barrio line, hopefully in Denmark, my searches on the net has resulted in nothing.

Best
Morten
TrevH

HT saltwater

Post by TrevH »

Marc Fauvet

HT saltwater

Post by Marc Fauvet »

hi Morten,
you won't find the Barrio lines in shops, they're sold exclusively through the link above. the prices include shipping anywhere in the world and you can expect to have them very quickly. (provided the line(s) you want are in stock)

cheers,
marc
MST

HT saltwater

Post by MST »

Thanks for the link to Barrio and the comments on reels. I should have a good set-up once spring arrives (and hopefully it'll be soon) and will post pictures of the first fish. Hopefully within a year :)

Morten
Svend

HT saltwater

Post by Svend »

Hi Morten,

From your initial post i gather that you're going to use your new outfit on the Danish coast. May i ask if you are aware that the GT125 would be a fairly uncommon line to use on the coast? Great for calm conditions, chasing mullet and maybe dry flies for seatrout but not a general practitioner by all means. Because you have to aerialize its long head to make it perform well, the GT125 is not great for deep wading or restricted backcast space and it is very susceptible to side winds.
If you are an experienced coastal flyfisher you probably knew this already and i apologize for a rather useless post. But if you're new to this there are quite a few people on this board who could help you choosing a suitable line.

Mvh, Svend

Return to “Tackle”