PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Leaders for trout fishing

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

t.z.

Post by t.z. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm

I dug out an older text I wrote quite some years back. I recently heard from a quite respected flyfisher from Ireland that he found my artcile in 2007 and it was an eye opener to him. Scotty has written about leades too, so I think this text should be in the s-loops archives.

Read the article here: http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/l ... ut-fishing

I am interested (and I´m surely not alone) to hear all the differnt approaches people have.

/t.z.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi t.z.

I have experimented a lot with different formulas for leaders for a couple of seasons. This season I have however only used Gary Borgers Uni-leader formula. The thought behind this leader formula is to have a base-leader that quickly and easily can be customized to fit different applications such as dry-fly fishing, nymph-fishing and streamer-fishing. I like this thought because I mostly fish waters where I alternate between these methods quite often during a single day and I don't want to go through the hassle of changing leaders and I certainly don't want to carry several rods. I have to say that this Uni-leader approach works well. Well worth trying for those that change methods often during a day.

/Thomas

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:42 pm

What is the formula, Thomas?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Hi,

Here is a short article that explains the system and provides the formula for 4-6 weight lines. I usually add slightly longer tippet when converting the UNI-leader to a Harvey-style dryfly-leader than Gary recommends. He has other formulas for lighter and heavier lines. If anyone is interested I can post them here as I don't think they are available on the internet.

http://www.garyborger.com/2012/05/09/un ... le-leader/

/Thomas

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks Thomas, I'll read it properly tomorrow. Will need to convert the diameters to mm!

I use a tapered leader 9ft RIO TROUT, needle knotted to 4-6wt lines. Sheepgirl ring, and this is my permanent butt section. From there I add tippet. Mostly my leaders are 18-22 ft. If I'm stepping down to a fine point, I always make the final tippet section the longest. This helps create slack when needed.

Fish rising around the boat... so much for going to sleep!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi again,

I can spare you the trouble Paul. This UNI-body leader is from his recent book and said to be designed for 5-6 weight lines. Converted to the metric system the lengths and diameters are as follows:

Section 1: 120 cm, 0,50 mm
Section 2: 30 cm, 0,33 mm
Section 3: 120 cm, 0,28 – 023 mm (For dryfly or Nymph) or 45 - 90 cm, 0,28 - 018 mm (The tippet for streamers and similar)
Section 4: 120 cm, 0,25 – 0,15 mm (The tippet for dryfly) or 25 cm, 0,25 – 0,15 mm (The tippet for Nymph)

For maximum convenience a tippet ring should be added at the end of section 2 and at the end of section 3 (For dryfly and nymph).

For those who are not familiar with the metric system 1 ft is roughly 33 centimeters.

As I said, I sometimes use a longer tippet when fishing dry flies and small nymphs and it works well.

Paul, what diameter has the buttsection and the end of your ready-made leader?

/Thomas

/Thomas

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:04 pm

The Uni-body leaders for heavier and lighter flylines have similar sections in terms of length. The diameters of the sections are of course different.

/Thomas

t.z.

Post by t.z. » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:09 am

Good stuff Thomas. I found all the different approaches quite fascinating ... and reassuring. It is good to know about methods and techniques freeing one form ready made products. There are so many flyfishers just using the leaders they find in the shelves of the shops ... and than Wonder why they do not get the fly to the fish ....

I found leadercalc page on "globalflyfisher "quite cool too --- many different formulas and ideas. http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:43 am

I dont know Thomas and won't be able to measure them for 9 months but I'll ask Simon. I like these leaders because they are quite stiff and have a long butt section. Because I'm putting on quite a long tippet after this I don't want to remove too much energy.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

John Finn

Post by John Finn » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:36 am

My only problem with tapered leaders as described above is the tendency of the heavier butt section to sink especially in streamy water. This is a pain when you need a delicate lift off . Seems to get worse as the leader absorbs water? , inspite of regular application of Gink.
Now using a much lighter butt section ie. 10 ft of .22mm Maxima . 3ft of .17mm and a 2ft tippet of .1mm
This is on an 8ft 4wt rod and it is a nice presentation if I get the cast right. Will be good for my casting as everything must be right to turn it over. Have been getting better results by slowing down my stroke and cutting back on the power. These are probably things I need to do anyway. The .22mm stays afloat longer.
Abandoned furled leaders as they should be considered extensions of the flyline rather than leader material.They spook fish just as much as flyline does. The above set up could probably be improved to aid turnover but I dont want to go heavier than .22mm in the butt section ....................John

Return to “Tackle”