PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sinking Line options

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sinking Line options

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

I need to get my Jungle Perch tackle in order. So this is the deal:

10-15 feet depth with snags.
Water is 30 degrees, air temp is warmer.
Freshwater
Fish fight hard and eat streamers - maybe a long shank 6. Unweighted is the norm or some small chain eyes. The flies I normally see are without weed guards. I have them with and without.

Mostly it’s recommended to fish 6WT tackle. I think mostly this is fish up to 1 or 2KG.

The record here is 6.8KG and there are a few spots where I’ve seen really big ones and have even lost some on poppers. I’ve had two landed about 1.5KG. One on a termite dry and the other on a popper. Mostly I haven’t really fished for them.

However I’m experimenting with a few ideas. I have some Leviathan lines that are positively awful to cast. Some 6WT DTs that are on the heavy side and can be made into shooting heads. I also have a couple of SA deep water streamer lines that are around an 8WT and cast like a brick.

As leaders you don’t need wire but I am thinking and have tried braid/spectra because I’m also planning on catching some of the big fellas. They problem with sinking lines such as the streamer line is that it has only a 22lb core. I suppose I could fish 15lb braid and not 25.

I’m thinking of making up some shooting heads with the DTs and possibly cuttting the head off the streamer line and even the Leviathan.

Any ideas or recommendations on lines/terminal tackle? If there are 5KG Jungle Perch I would like to have tackle that has a reasonable chance of success.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”