PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Datatables

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Datatables

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

this is what I'm working on at the moment, https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/datatable/list/ is the entry page to the database tables. Maybe a link here to a page on how to measure the lines.

In the fly lines datatable there will be the things we discussed in the fly lines thread https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/dat ... /fly-lines (I think that the image is unnecessary?) Also there needs to be the name of the tester, which also allows for the manufacturer official data to be inserted at this point.

Probably needs a date too. Manufacturers do change specs of the line over time.

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/datatable/show/rods I need to grab the old CCS database and insert this.

What do you think? It should be up and running and ready to populate next week!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus
Answers: 0

Re: Datatables

Post by piffilus »

It's looking really good mate. :pirate:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks mate. I had it constructed in such a way that we can easy have databases about almost anything. Knot strengths, hook strengths, even competition results.

It shouldn’t be difficult to extract the CCS data and add this. I’m working though a list of things at the moment.

I think we need to decide on units. Are we good to mix feet and grammes for example? :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:58 pm Are we good to mix feet and grammes for example? :)
Only if we are getting into quantum uncertainties with this. I think distance and mass only switch places at the sub-atomic level. ;)

I think an image of the line without packaging can be important for some people. Some people like to know the line's colours.

Otherwise, it looks workable to me.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m fractions of a mm, inches (not cm), feet, metres (not yards), miles and km (interchangeable). I’m C not F. Pounds are good, can run with stones for human sizes but kilos for everything else. Pints and litres, I was fine with gallons until I learned US gallons are different.

I’m guessing that’s the same for everyone?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

How about diameter of running line and tip diameters?

I’d love to get stated sink rate and true sink rates but I think that’s for testing separately.

I’ll clean it up a bit later today. How about standardising our balances as Gary suggested? I still can’t find mine but I’ll order another today on the Net.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:32 pm I’m fractions of a mm, inches (not cm), feet, metres (not yards), miles and km (interchangeable). I’m C not F. Pounds are good, can run with stones for human sizes but kilos for everything else. Pints and litres, I was fine with gallons until I learned US gallons are different.

I’m guessing that’s the same for everyone?

Cheers, Paul
Nup, not even close.

I use metric for everything I can. I do know what feet, inches, pounds, ounces, etc look like and use them if the audience requires it, but prefer metric (SI) units if I can.

Unfortunately, the US makers dominate the fly fishing industry, so in fly gear, we're almost stuck with feet, grain weights, X units diameters for tippet and pounds for breaking strength. I'd be happier with SI units.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:D

I’m happy with metic! Maybe for lengths we will do both.

It’s funny I was fishing with Tim who installed a sounder on the boat. He set it up measuring depths in feet (he’s an Aussie). I said “I thought you were metres?” He said, “I always set it up in feet because fly line sink rates are described in inches/sec”. Fair enough!

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Yeah, Aussies (and I guess many others) are pretty adept at working in multiple systems of measurement. We need to be, since we are caught between the real (metric) world and the arbitrary world where US cents minted prior to 2005 can be a unit of weight ... ;)

Let's launch a satellite and see it crash and burn because forget to convert feet to metres! :)
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s funny how the brain works. I can divide up a mm but fractions of an inch? “Its 15/64ths of an inch” What?? But if you are used to working in that then you have an idea of it. Fish in cm. I wouldn’t have a clue. Inches I’d be pretty close.

What I find really weird is my sisters who are all younger than me think in Fahrenheit and cannot think in Centigrade. Me I have to convert to Fahrenheit. I can’t think in it. How the hell they are thinking in Fahrenheit is a mystery to me.

Be that as it may, half our readership is US and so we will post feet as well as metres. We will probably have to do the same for weights although the comparisons is more important I think.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”