PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Snowbee prestige XS line (treatment)

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Snowbee prestige XS line (treatment)

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hello all,

I recently bought a snowbee prestige XS orange line for teaching. I spooled it on my reel, and had a quick throw with it yesterday. My first thoughts were "wow, this line is awful!" It was dry as a bone and started screeching on the rings, it didn't shoot properly at all.

This line was bought from a reputable UK dealer, so i do know that it is not a fake line. :sorcerer:

My question is, should you use the line slick that comes with the line, or would the scientific anglers line slick be ok for it? The SA line slick is my favourite. :pirate: It seems a bit ridiculous that you have to treat your line before you use it, especially when it has come from the factory. SA lines work perfectly out of the packet, why can't this?

All the best!

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Graeme H

Re: Snowbee prestige XS line (treatment)

Post by Graeme H »

Yes, you need to put something on those lines to slacken them. I don't know why they do that.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Not sure. Have they moved to barstool? :laugh:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Does your rod have recoil guides?
The snowbee line slick works fine. I have used quit some different brands (also SA) and did not notice a big difference as long as they have sillicon in them. Both SA and Snowbee contain sillicon.

Cheers, Bart
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Thank you, both. That is very helpful. I was taken by surprise when i had a quick chuck with it (without the dressing) but now i have put it on, it is quite a nice line. The head is a lot shorter than what i'm used to, i do love the SA EDC lines, and any line with a long head really.

Most of my rods have the REC recoil single foot guides, and i do know that these can 'sing' :sorcerer: Thanks for the information regarding the silicone, Bart. I know the SA has a label with the substances used to make the product, however, the Snowbee line slick bottle didn't come with one, only a label that said Snowbee line slick or something similar.

What does everyone else think of the line?
Paul Arden wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:53 pm Not sure. Have they moved to barstool? :laugh:
Haha Paul! :laugh:

all the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I haven't tried the line. I've got some of their other lines and like them reasonably well. I don't go out of my way to get them though.

I use this stuff on any and all lines in the way Snowbee recommends using their silicone. That is, put it on, leave it for a while, then buff off.

https://www.autoglym.com.au/bumper-trim-gel.

This stuff is not expensive and does a great job.

For "on-water" applications, I dress my line with silicone-based sex lube. Cheap, easy to get and makes a great talking point with the deckie on my boat! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

@Graeme. Have you been using this products over a longer time period? Many people warn that this products contain stuff that damage the coating, but I have no experience with it.

@Nick I have one rod with single leg recoils and it casts like shit if the line is a bit dirty or if I am using softer lines (like Snowbee or Barrio) over grass.
Lot's off years ago I distributed Snowbee in Holland so have casted a fair bit with there lines. Quit a bit of there lines carry the title prestige XS, but I assume you have the standard one. I think it is a great allround line for most flyfishers. The head feels well balanced and I always got a lot of positive reactions on them. I weighted one and it was conform AFTMA. Which is not the case for all their line types.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

A vibrator makes a good priest too.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

bartdezwaan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:30 pm @Graeme. Have you been using this products over a longer time period? Many people warn that this products contain stuff that damage the coating, but I have no experience with it.
I've been using it for about 18 months. No problems whatsoever.

I've heard those stories about Armourall though, and this is not a product like that. It's a silicone treatment.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
sms

Post by sms »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 pm A vibrator makes a good priest too.
I can see you confessioning to one, yes.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”