PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Snowbee prestige XS line (treatment)

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Snowbee prestige XS line (treatment)

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:21 pm

But... if it is OK to use a 10wt rod, and a 65' head on a line labeled a 5 wt, it probably doesn't matter if the line is a tad extra heavy? Or not?
What's a 10 wt rod 😉

And my correctly labeled according to standard 5 wt DT is 90 feet long 😉

And lastly, there's a maximum weight and length allowed, the line will be measured, and found not to spec, disqualified...

Polyurethane on polyvinylchlorid sounds interesting, will see if Its available here, thanks!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes if the lines are heavy you will be disqualified. They work within tolerances Of course but it’s the line that matters!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Back to the original query - I'd suggest contacting Snowbee to let them know that line is not slick.

Magnus
"Actually I can't because you are right! " Paul Arden 8/6/2019
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

AFAIK Snowbee lines used to be made by the Shakespeare line factory (owned now by Northern Sports) - these lines are not as slick as others - but I like that the Shakeys last longer than some other brands and have almost zero memory (good for colder weather).

To the line conditioner: the other marketing name for soft PVC is just "Vinyl", any care product compatible with vinyl works also for fly lines.
I think most line conditioners are made from Silicone grease, on grass I like a plastic care spray (picks up less dirt). Some I know use also shoe care stuff for artificial leather, because this is often made from PVC or PU.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Quite strange case, I can't imagine that these lines were really that inferior - but surely attractive for criminals, given the huge price difference. Shakeys are possible to identify by these hand tied fabric bands (SA uses "pipe cleaners").
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Torsten wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:54 pm Quite strange case, I can't imagine that these lines were really that inferior - but surely attractive for criminals, given the huge price difference. Shakeys are possible to identify by these hand tied fabric bands (SA uses "pipe cleaners").
Not anymore, at least one manufacturer uses similar fabric bands, Rio uses coated copperwire.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The fine I thought was low. I think with the way the Shakespeare lines were made it’s difficult to keep the core centred, certainly in comparison to RIO. Apart from that I find differences in hardness and durability.

As a manufacturer/brand if I have RÍO make lines to my specs it costs around 5 times what it costs to have them made in China. So that’s going to translate to a large price spread to the customer.

I have actually looked into this and had a few Chinese samples. The lines are OK and the retail margins are actually better :laugh: The problem is you’ve got to do volume and that sounds more like work and less like fishing!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Lasse,
Not anymore, at least one manufacturer uses similar fabric bands
.. and what's the name of the manufacturer?

I think for transparency it's useful if we list all OEMs, the chinese one is AFAIK :
Leichi China https://www.leichichina.com/product/fly-fishing.html
I have a few chinese DTs, for training lines etc. not that bad, they just smell strange.

Paul,
As a manufacturer/brand if I have RÍO make lines to my specs it costs around 5 times what it costs to have them made in China. So that’s going to translate to a large price spread to the customer.
Seems to me unlikely that RIO would tell you the true manufacturing costs, because they're an established brand and I'm sure they charge more for white label products.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Actually I have a pretty good idea of the costs but that’s not what I meant. I meant the price of having RÍO, SA, etc selling lines to you under your own brand. There are two line manufacturers in China. Depending on length, welded loops, quantities etc etc it costs roughly 4-5USD/line. It’s over five times that per line with the US manufacturers. Northern Sports are far cheaper than US manufacturers’ prices. Of course that’s not including taxes, import duties, shipping costs, packaging nor indeed development costs if you want your own taper. Just the approx base price of per line as comparison.

It’s a bit difficult dealing with China however because if you develop something you can quickly find that it’s available to everyone. That’s just how they work. Also if you go online you can find that they are selling direct at very low prices. Flavio for example bought some lines direct that cost less than 5USD. The quality isn’t there but for many it will be fine. You can chop them up and make shooting heads and the lines I’ve had actually conform to AFFTA standards. However by far the best lines IMO are manufactured by SA and RÍO. Quality-wise the difference is like chalk and cheese between these manufacturers and the others.

However the point was if an OEM is dealing with a purchase price difference of 500% you can see why the retail prices vary so much. If anything the margins are greater when dealing with the cheapest made products. Same with fly rods too; the margins at the top end are often lower than low priced rods and some of the margins at the mid price point must be astronomical!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”