PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Making the Lumi-Line 6 brighter?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

nicholasfmoore

Making the Lumi-Line 6 brighter?

Post by nicholasfmoore » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:26 am

Hi all,

I absolutely love this line and I use it in the garden (i fish with it too!) I was wondering if anyone has found a way to make this line really 'glow' for filming purposes? So far I have tried charging the line indoors, and then when I get outside, I run a UV torch along its length to 'top it up' so to speak. Would be interested to hear any suggestions. :cool:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Making the Lumi-Line 6 brighter?

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:43 am

I don’t think it’s possible to film without exceptional equipment. I had my first lumi-line 25 years ago and dozens of people have tried and failed. Admittedly this one is the brightest but it’s all relative. Over the years I’ve charged it with car headlamps, million candle power spot lamps and UV lamps. For something to really “glow” I think you would need a different system, perhaps with an electric charge through the line. I am working on a more convenient charging device.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi Paul,

I did try and film it with the DSLR and a very fast and expensive lens but wasn't that pleased with the results. In-person, once your eyes have adjusted, it looks epic! You are right, Paul. I think you would need to use something like a RED camera to allow you to capture this, however, these are incredibly expensive. :sorcerer:

Funny you should mention the electrical charge, I was thinking about this the other day. You can buy electroluminescent wire, which I believe is what you are thinking of? How much do you think they would charge to have a few 'prototype' lines made? The only problem I can think of is the fact that this would require two corona wires to encapsulate the phosphor and this would make it stiff as anything!

Food for thought anyway. I have just purchased another UV torch :)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:25 pm

If we can can come up with something that works and is possible to be done on existing machines then maybe it can be done for free. I’m sure it can be done one day, I’m just not sure that it can be done today. Weight and stiffness - possibly durability? - these are all questions I have!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”