PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Hornbeam
Answers: 0

Re: The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Post by Hornbeam »

Hi Paul,
Yes, it was me that sent the photo. The Mitchell 710 reel winds itself up as line is pulled out, but the back of the reel has a ridged circumference that can be gripped and wound to add extra 'recovery'. It wasn't a bad reel, but rather low capacity and heavy. It performed pretty well against most fly reels of the time that had central arbors barely thicker than your little finger.
Tony
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Hi there, I wasn't sure whether to start a new post or comment on here so I'm commenting on here as it relates to this. I can't really find much or any info or videos on the web about how these semi-automatic fly reels actually work so was wondering if someone could explain. I'd be using it for dry fly fishing on a reservoir where trout range from about 2lbs to maybe 15lbs.
I lost my right arm over 40 years ago and for the past 40 years I've used the same Mitchell 710 Automatic, mostly on rivers but I'm too old and unfit to be going about rough riverbanks now. My Mitchell reel is now struggling to pull in a 2lb fish now and I'm looking for something better but not costly because this year or next year may be my last season. £100 max perhaps (I'm in the UK). Thanks in advance.
Chess

Post by Chess »

Hi Scotsman,
I've seen semi auto reels about in the past, haven't for awhile now. Never used one but it's great you've managed to keep on fishing. Old & unfit generally fits my "modus operendi" too but I understand where you're coming from, "keep on truckin buddy."
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Scotsman,

Welcome to the Board!

I’ve seen both but owned neither. Semi Automatic-
9D5E0B99-5C79-4E78-B8ED-53DFB3A53BD8.jpeg
9D5E0B99-5C79-4E78-B8ED-53DFB3A53BD8.jpeg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
As you can see the lever action rotates the spool. Fully automatic, the line being pulled out winds a spring. While I’ve briefly played with both I haven’t any significant time with either.

It’s also possible to separate the reel from the rod. You could have a chest mount for the reel and a support for the rod. I’m not sure which is better but I can find out more about this option if you like.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure what the difference is between automatic and semi-automatic.
The only ones I've seen that are in the price range and still available are the MAXIMUMCATCH Automatic Fly Fishing Reel with CNC-machined Aluminium Body (around £116) and the other one is the Peerless Bam Ritm Adult’s Unisex 80 Mrt Semi-Automatic Fly Fishing Reel, Black (£66 but only one left).
The first one says it's right handed and I can't find a left handed at all but I don't actually see what the difference is between right handed or left handed. I have to put the rod between my legs to pull line out and the Maximumatch looks like the spool is to one side rather than in the centre so it wouldn't be ideal.
The Peerless Bam is described as semi-automatic and I don't know what is meant by that but there is also only one photo anywhere on the internet so I don't know if the spool is to one side as well. There are also no reviews for either.
My Mitchell 710 has the whole thing central so that it sits on the rod just like a normal reel. After winding it up initially, it then keeps wound up by the pulling out of the line but it tends to lose a little each time and needs wound up now and again and it's at that point I'm not able to wind in the whole of the line to bring in a fish. Could it be that I just have too much line on my spool? This is only the second season I've used this line and last season I caught nothing at all. I had been thinking this season that my reel was the problem just with age but maybe it's not? It's a floating line because I only fish dry fly due to the hassle of continually having to pull line out every time.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The spring only has enough tension to wind in a certain length of line. It won’t bring in a full flyline, which is why it needs additional winding from the side.

The semi-automatic has no spring at all. You simply wind in by manually operating the lever. It’s on a gear so it’s turns pretty fast, but you have to operate the lever in order to rotate the spool via some internal cogs.

Have you considered a rod/reel holder? There are quite a few options. It still makes stripping the line difficult but possible. I was thinking about something like this https://rexfly.com/rexfly-casting-system

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bebob

Post by bebob »

Hi, I'm also a Scotsman but live in Italy home of the Vivarelli semi automatic reel the pic Paul posted looks like a Vivarelli. I don't know about other models but the Vivarelli doesn't have the guts to pull in a two pounder just by operating the lever. You would have to pump the fish in i.e. raise the rod to pull the fish towards you and take in the slack with the lever when you lower the rod. I don't know if it's marketed in the UK but Decathlon has started selling a Vivarelli copy here in Italy.
bebob

Post by bebob »

Hi, I'm also a Scotsman but live in Italy home of the Vivarelli semi automatic reel the pic Paul posted looks like a Vivarelli. I don't know about other models but the Vivarelli doesn't have the guts to pull in a two pounder just by operating the lever. You would have to pump the fish in i.e. raise the rod to pull the fish towards you and take in the slack with the lever when you lower the rod. I don't know if it's marketed in the UK but Decathlon has started selling a Vivarelli copy here in Italy.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:43 am The spring only has enough tension to wind in a certain length of line. It won’t bring in a full flyline, which is why it needs additional winding from the side.

The semi-automatic has no spring at all. You simply wind in by manually operating the lever. It’s on a gear so it’s turns pretty fast, but you have to operate the lever in order to rotate the spool via some internal cogs.

Have you considered a rod/reel holder? There are quite a few options. It still makes stripping the line difficult but possible. I was thinking about something like this https://rexfly.com/rexfly-casting-system

Cheers, Paul
That's interesting (rexfly) but I don't think I could change now after all these years, I just have a way of doing it that I have gotten used to and I may have to give it up for good before too long in any case.
So the fully automatic is the wind up type like my Mitchell 710 is it?
If the semi-automatic just operates by the lever and a gear would it be a better option because of not having to wind it up or is there a downside to it like not having as much power or something? Would it wind in a full line? There doesn't appear to be a left handed version though, that was the thing but if the lever could be reached I don't know that right or left would make any difference.
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

bebob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:03 am Hi, I'm also a Scotsman but live in Italy home of the Vivarelli semi automatic reel the pic Paul posted looks like a Vivarelli. I don't know about other models but the Vivarelli doesn't have the guts to pull in a two pounder just by operating the lever. You would have to pump the fish in i.e. raise the rod to pull the fish towards you and take in the slack with the lever when you lower the rod. I don't know if it's marketed in the UK but Decathlon has started selling a Vivarelli copy here in Italy.
Thanks. That is what I currently have to do, take in the slack when the fish is coming towards me and by lowering the rod. Maybe that's about as good as it will be and I will have to make do with it. I've not done a lot of reservoir fishing because it was always easier on the river due to the flow of water taking the line away downstream. I did once manage an 8lb salmon when trout fishing in the late 80's using the Mitchell reel but the fish was limited as to where it could go in the low summer water whereas in the reservoir the big rainbows can take all your line out. I see that one you may mean here https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/semi-auto ... xuEALw_wcB but I see that it only takes in 2m of line so I may have to stick with what I have after all. The reason I'm on the reservoirs now is the fact I can't walk that far now up riverbanks, heart disease and old age.

Return to “Tackle”