PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bebob
Answers: 0

Re: The New Semi Automatic Fly Reels

Post by bebob »

Hi, the Decathlon reel is a copy of the Vivarelli so I presume the 2metre retrieve refers to the quantity of line for one press of the lever. You can retrieve a whole flyline by pressing the lever multiple times, no problem there. Don't know about the Decathlon version but the drag adjustment on the Vivarelli is by a wee Allen screw. Basically you set the drag to prevent overrun when pulling line from the reel. It's not possible to adjust the drag without the Allen key. Hope this helps. I'd love to be able to visit Scotland now to show you how the reel works.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s interesting to see them in Decathlon (not here in Malaysian Decathlon of course!). Out of curiosity how robust are the Vivarellis? I see they have an 8WT model on their website. I’ve always fancied one but I’m not very good with reels :D Still if there is no adjustable drag to break then that’s a bonus!

Scotsman, I would think semi-automatic would be better for you just for bringing the whole line. What do you get on the Mitchell? About 20m?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bebob

Post by bebob »

Robust is a relative term and in your case it probably has a completely different meaning. It is my go to reel for trout fishing. I have 2 and numerous spare spools. I fish max 5wt line here. I've been using them for around 40 years. I wore out the main shaft on my first one, bought a new one and then replaced the shaft on the first one both reels are still working ok. Basically the reels are plastic, I've dropped mine frequently and generally abused it and it still works. They definitely don't like sand and need to be kept lubricated. If money is not a problem check out the Swiss firm Peux the Fulgor model is their semi auto version (around 500€) in fact they make a spare spools for the standard Vivarelli which is supposed to eliminate the problem of the non adjustable drag.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Very nice looking reels, Bob. One day… :D

Flycasting Definitions
bebob

Post by bebob »

Yeah, that's what I've been saying for about the last 15 years or so, but my Scottish DNA always intervenes.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

When I was 21 I was buying Loomis blanks through Steve Parton and fitting a 10 year old Rimfly reel. I didn’t realise it was because my mother is Glaswegian.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Very funny story. One of my great uncles was sent to become an officer in WW2 because when he was asked what he did for a living he said “a shipbuilder”. He was a welder.

Flycasting Definitions
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

bebob wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:13 pm Hi, the Decathlon reel is a copy of the Vivarelli so I presume the 2metre retrieve refers to the quantity of line for one press of the lever. You can retrieve a whole flyline by pressing the lever multiple times, no problem there. Don't know about the Decathlon version but the drag adjustment on the Vivarelli is by a wee Allen screw. Basically you set the drag to prevent overrun when pulling line from the reel. It's not possible to adjust the drag without the Allen key. Hope this helps. I'd love to be able to visit Scotland now to show you how the reel works.
Thanks for that. I will have another look at that and others. I can't find Vivarelli ones in stock anywhere and their website isn't working for me but that one may be okay (Decathlon).
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:41 pm

What do you get on the Mitchell? About 20m?

Cheers, Paul
I don't know really, when I press the lever all the line that is out comes in but I can't have a lot of line out in the first place because of using one hand. The speed of retrieving the line depends on how far you press the lever and it varies depending on if it's just been wound up or not. I have to put the rod between my legs, pull some line out then cast out the slack then repeat until enough line is out that I'm comfortably ably to cast without it landing in a heap or catching a bush behind me.
Am I right in thinking then that pulling the lever on a semi automatic would keep the line tight with a fish on? And, there is no winding up with a semi automatic?
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

If a semi automatic would give me what I have currently (having to take up slack by lowering the rod) then that would be much better than having to wind the spring up all the time, I have to lay the rod on the ground and hold it with my foot to do that.

Return to “Tackle”