PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wading jacket

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Wading jacket

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi guys
Last time somebody ask about a jacket was in 2014, so maybe few things changed.
What do you guys using this days and what are the recomendations?
NO SIMMS pleas- there is no way $1000 goes from my pocket.
I like the features of this one, but....
https://www.amazon.com.au/Riverruns-Fis ... +ra&sr=8-5

, also Scierra looks good

I never had a propper wading jacket, so not exactly sure.
I got wet big time on the flats the other day, so I know I need one.
cheers
mike
Thomas

Re: Wading jacket

Post by Thomas »

Hi MIke,

Whats your size? I recently bought an Columbia wading jacket in PVC from a shop here in Sweden. Its an old model but they do have some jackets in size medium left. This jacket stands up to absolutely everything in terms of rain and it will not need any kind of DWR-treatment or the like. It also costs next to nothing since almost nobody wants a wading jacket i PVC today. The downside is, of course, that the jacket does not breathe. So its not a jacket I use when my fishing involves fast hiking in warm weather. But when the weather turns nasty and the temperature is lower its great. With this jacket and my Grundens Soutwesterner I am going fishing in conditions when all of my fishing friends sit at home with a cup of hot chocolate. :)

Cheers Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The sou´wester is called Sandhamn 21 - it is highly recommended.
sms

Post by sms »

What type of fishing are you looking the jacket for? If I am fishing flats or in a boat in temperature or tropical conditions, I use a packable jacket and put it on only when necessary.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Michal Duzynski

Thank you Thomas,
Ciao Sakke, I think you are right here. In Australia there is more fishing in the sun and heat than rain.
I spend 40min under the bridge on Saturday as it was pissing down, then I said "whatever" and went casting and get wet.
I think the one you say packable would be the choice. I even found a guy on youtube compering psi of water on a materials, expensive goretex hold it up to 30 psi, and the cheap Frogg Togs 18 psi( and its packable), so as I wont be using it much I might have a go with Frogg.
cheers
mike
sms

Post by sms »

From my experience that is the way to go. If you can find a cheap one that does not have armpit zippers, that is good. That is a place where water can and will find its way inside (mine has these unfortunately). The also the front zipper should have a flap or be waterproof or -resistant type to avoid water seeping in from the front. Separate collar from the hood is something I don't think you'll find, but if you do, that will keep your chest drier.
The most important thing is that it is with you (light and packs small so you take it with you). The best gear in the world at home does not help you on the water. If it keeps most of the water out and thus you relatively dry and blocks the wind, then you will not be cold and will be relatively comfortable.

In fishing in the cold climate for salmon for example, I use Simms Guide jacket (bought from the US as it was much cheaper there compared to Europe). But in that case the requirements are different since getting wet in torrential rain means getting cold very quickly:
- waterproof
- waterproof
- waterproof
- breathable to some extent
- clean shingled cuffs (no tightening straps on the outside where the line can tangle to them and rain does not touch the inner cuff that is meeting the wrist)
- separate collar from the hood (otherwise some of the rain will run down the front edge of the hood and then to the inside of the jacket and you have wet chest)
- hood tightening cords do not go inside the jacket (as they direct the water straight in otherwise)

The hood related things I learned from old Patagonia SST jacket. Great jacket except for that my chest got wet and cuffs were just normal outside velcro stuff.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Michal Duzynski

awesome tips Sakke, thank you
queenfish

Post by queenfish »

Hi Mike
3 weeks ago I got one from Anaconda on special, can't remember but less than $60
It comes in small bag you can hang it on your belt, breathable soft, it should be good enough for around here.
I don't know if you seen the blue plastic one I have in the boat, takes lots of space, when I wear it, I feel like the Michelin man.
You should check them over.
queenfish

Post by queenfish »

Hi Mike
3 weeks ago I got one from Anaconda on special, can't remember but less than $60
It comes in small bag you can hang it on your belt, breathable soft, it should be good enough for around here.
I don't know if you seen the blue plastic one I have in the boat, takes lots of space, when I wear it, I feel like the Michelin man.
You should check them over.
Oh yeah called Rainbird stawaway.
Michal Duzynski

cheers Vince
Today I was thinking, I have to visit Anaconda, now I have to go there for sure.
p.s
any winter action in the Seaway mate?

Return to “Tackle”