PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The ephemeral fly reel

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Hornbeam
Answers: 0

The ephemeral fly reel

Post by Hornbeam »

For some years now I have been pretty hacked off at the fleeting transience of fly reel models put out by manufacturers. What appears to be a stylish and functional design arrives on the market and is touted with much hoopla. The models are enthusiastically reviewed by the pundits and -after due consideration and weighing up of finances- we raid the piggy bank and splash out on the wondrous new reel. But of course it's rarely just the one. I always like to have two full examples of a particular model and size of fly reel, just in case one should completely fail in service and then, too, if we use different kinds of lines, even in the same weight, we have to buy spare spools. The overall outlay is not inconsiderable for reels of a certain quality. But then, blow me, five minutes later that model is discontinued!

If you are on your toes (and I invariably am not), there may be a brief window when you may pick up some bargains in the end-of-range bins, but soon enough, the supply is exhausted and you have to scratch around for increasingly hard-to-find spare spools and other parts. What is this all about?

It occurs to me that the evolution of the fly reel has advanced at a glacially slow rate. There have been a few worthwhile advances over recent years: the large arbour, effective one-way drag systems; the lightning of frame design, etc., but why must fly reel models be changed every couple of years?
Graeme H

Re: The ephemeral fly reel

Post by Graeme H »

That's marketing.

If they don't change designs every year or two, we won't "raid the piggy bank" and they won't make money.

The work around is to buy a great reel and live with it for many years. Costs a bit more up front, but in the long run it's cheaper.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I used a Rimfly for 15 years. I would still be using a Rimfly if they were available! The only time I’ve felt the need for a decent drag system is in the Salt.

I’m sure they change the designs for the same reason that most Rod manufacturers do. Sales! Bring out a new rod/reel/line/underpants and sales go up, over a couple of years they quickly go down and they have to start again. We are so used to buying iPhones, cameras, laptops where two years is a new lifetime that perhaps we expect the same developments in fishing tackle!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

I have lots of reels, some self wind which is a pain.

I use Hardy perfects, they don't self wind, and the design has been tried and tested for 129 years. 🙂

The problem is the current throw away society, almost everything you buy can't be repaired, and imo that is utterly rediculous, and it needs to change.

As an ex pipe organ builder I saw real quality on a daily basis, whether that was tuning, seeing a 150 year old tool that worked exactly as it did when it was built, or the care to detail from workers. The best materials, top skilled workmanship and attention to detail/design will always be suprime.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather save and buy one quality item up front. Less stuff, but all high quality. It's the way the world has gone, and it won't go back to the Victorian work ethic etc.

Quite a passionate subject of mine. You can't tell me that a society with our advanced techniques can't build something that will last hundreds of years? I know an organ that's 500+ years old, yes it's been restored as things wear out, but the actual thing is still there and going strong!

As you say, it's marketing and a get rich quick mindset

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I have loved and liked Waterworks/Lamson reels since I got my first one - I think that was in '99 or 2000. I have a few reels that are not WWL as well - one was a gift from Paul some 20 years ago - let's see if he remembers :-).
WWL also brings out new models every now and then, and sometimes I get caught up and replace (some of) the older models, but I have several of the old models still. And I'm even searching actively for the elusive Waterworks Purist 3, which I never got my hands on and I need it.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

20 years ago??? Of course I remember! :D

I agree, I think reels should be made to last and should be repairable. Not only reels but every damned thing and if it isn’t then it should be recyclable. At least here in Malaysia economics makes many things repairable that would be discarded elsewhere - or to use the words of the friends I deal with here “modified”. I’ve always believed that “modified” is better and brings character to the equipment.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

I have Waterworks Lamson and Danielsson (Loop-badged). All are at least 10 years old. I bought them either unused second-hand, or heavily discounted.
If I was starting from scratch I think I would buy Danielsson; they seem less inclined to bring out new models every couple of years, and I think parts are readily available.
I do like my Waterworks ULA Force tho’: for me that was a groundbreaking design. When I first saw them in a tackle shop they looked “wrong”; nothing like a fly reel
carlz

Post by carlz »

I am fishing Ross Gunnisons (original series), Pflueger Medalists (USA made) and Abel Big Game reels for the most part. Nothing special a little heavy and none of them are newer than 20 years old. They are not large arbor, but they are bullet proof and available.

My medalists are for Bass and Bluegill where the drag doesn't matter much. The others have reasonably low startup inertia and are easy to adjust the drag on. Does anyone actually wear out their quality reels?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

On budget reels normally the drag such as it was simply fails. If by quality we take bar stock as the mark, then normally the drag seizes and works in both directions! Of course I’ve broken/twisted frames, spools, handles and had the reel foot drop off rather a few times. By my reckoning it’s about 1000 days/fishing for me out of a reel.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

Very interesting comments, guys and thank you.

I have always maintained that that the fly reel is essentially a very simple piece of equipment with a very simple role to perform. It should not be beyond the wit of man (or tackle manufacturer) to come up with a really good, robust design, offering impecable function and displaying enduringly useful features. Once such a reel has gained my trust, it will acquire my lasting loyalty. Into the future, I will continue to buy spare spools, spare parts, not to mention its bigger and smaller brothers and sisters.

Cheers

Return to “Tackle”