PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

SA intermediate sink lines?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

SA intermediate sink lines?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Does anyone have any feedback on the current intermediate flylines offered by SA?

I am particularly interested in the mid to high weight lines for saltwater.

I guess I have to purchase a new (regular) MED5 as they won't share the tropic version, so I might as well get some useful lines too.

Thanks.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: SA intermediate sink lines?

Post by Paul Arden »

Not sure Gary, but I did ask on the Tropical 5 but the minimums were too high for me at the moment, and then Covid hit and I had to go underground. I still haven’t given up on this.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

If you were to get some tropical MED5's, would they shoot like your thunderbolt 6's? Nothing else i have owned even comes close to the excellent shoot ability of these :cool:

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
George C

Post by George C »

I have a SA Sonic Saltwater taper intermediate 8W. It has a "clear" 1st 15'. The line is stiff (too stiff for most of the year up north here) and shoots well. I don't fish it much. 38' head. 225gr/30' for the 8wt.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I have a few of the SA intermediate lines, and I generally find them very, very good, so I assume that there's no reason to think that the saltwater versions should be any different. They are app. half a line weight heavy, but very good lines.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Nick, since I add Shoot to all my floating lines (and even the HiDs and shooting line) they all seem to shoot well. The tropical MED is just a bit stiffer and has a slightly textured coating. They were from a batch of lines that Josh had made for himself (apparently it gets hot in Michigan!) and he kindly send me five over for the Malaysian casting sport practise. While it’s possible to run a batch of lines I need to sell about 100 to break even. If ten people would commit to ten lines we can sell them at “team prices” and you could distribute to your friends. It would be a possible path that I could look into. I will do it at some point myself but I doubt it will be this year unless borders reopen again soon (which is highly unlikely!).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Well, I just ordered their "new" camo intermediate. It looks to be the best option for what I am looking for.

Unlike almost all others, it does not have a brutish short head. Instead, it has the +/- 50' head of their top selling floater.

I forget all the new fancy names their marketing dept has sunk to.

It is not a tropic line, but that is OK as the hot big tarpon bite in the spring actually happens in rather cool water. But it is a "plus one" @ 260 for a 9 wt... again that should be OK when carrying more than 30 on my 10 rod.

Unfortunately it is not clear but we'll see what camo looks like. The head length is more important.

If anyone is interested I will post a review once it gets wet.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If anyone is interested I will post a review once it gets wet.
Yes please!

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Very interested! :cool:

All the best!
Nick M

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:24 am Hi Nick, since I add Shoot to all my floating lines (and even the HiDs and shooting line) they all seem to shoot well. The tropical MED is just a bit stiffer and has a slightly textured coating. They were from a batch of lines that Josh had made for himself (apparently it gets hot in Michigan!) and he kindly send me five over for the Malaysian casting sport practise. While it’s possible to run a batch of lines I need to sell about 100 to break even. If ten people would commit to ten lines we can sell them at “team prices” and you could distribute to your friends. It would be a possible path that I could look into. I will do it at some point myself but I doubt it will be this year unless borders reopen again soon (which is highly unlikely!).

Cheers, Paul
Thank you, Paul. I'd be up for committing to 10 lines for you. 😊

All the best!
Nick M

Return to “Tackle”