PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Running line for beginner

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Running line for beginner

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Well... not actually a beginner - just someone who has not played with shooting heads for a few decades.

I tried `em, but back then the constant tangles drove me off. I believe I was using some sort of oval mono for the running line?

So, if I was to give it a go again... what is the consensus "best" - as in least tangling material to try for the running line. Max distance is not my concern... usability is.

I have plenty of candidate lines for the heads.

Thanks!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Running line for beginner

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Least tangles, get a coated runningline 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Re: Running line for beginner

Post by James9118 »

I don't think many would argue that mono is the best for distance, but I find it a bitch to fish with. As such, for fishing I use the running line from #5 floaters that I've ruined during casting practice. I just cut out the really bad bit and use the rest to graft onto the back of any shooting head I want to fish with (I use the head I've chopped off as a practice line for #5 distance).

Cheers, James

Return to “Tackle”