PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Shooting Heads for Huchen

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Shooting Heads for Huchen

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t think so because I had bought the two together. That’s why it was a good example. I’ve had similar experiences but then there were other possible causes. If you look at Sakari’s link you can see it’s quite possible. Unfortunately the full PDF seems unavailable.

Obviously there are different nylons. And it’s going to be far more noticeable with tippet material than heavier spinning line. If it’s 50lb and it loses even 80% strength you’re not likely to notice this when gathering it.

In my experience with sunlight the effect is different and the line seems to become brittle. Whereas water makes the nylon softer/ more limp.

In NZ it’s important to dry clothes inside out!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars
Answers: 0

Post by Viking Lars »

Paul - back to leader-shootinghead-shootingline-train. Yes, he's fine as long as the shooting head's core is stronger than the leader's.

L
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:32 am I don’t think so because I had bought the two together. That’s why it was a good example. I’ve had similar experiences but then there were other possible causes. If you look at Sakari’s link you can see it’s quite possible. Unfortunately the full PDF seems unavailable.

Obviously there are different nylons. And it’s going to be far more noticeable with tippet material than heavier spinning line. If it’s 50lb and it loses even 80% strength you’re not likely to notice this when gathering it.

In my experience with sunlight the effect is different and the line seems to become brittle. Whereas water makes the nylon softer/ more limp.

In NZ it’s important to dry clothes inside out!

Cheers, Paul
Maybe heat in the backpack?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Brilliant idea. Good for pizzas as well :)

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Paul,
Wouldn’t 30lb be enough? (easier to stretch!) What do you guys use for pike?
I like to use a soft monofilament with a diameter of 0,50mm - 0,60mm or Cortland's intermediate 444 runningline. I had also 50lbs (yellow intermediate) flat beam, but would prefer nowadays a soft mono - the sea fishing stuff for shock leaders works and I've found Berkley's Ironsilk or the Oyster line good. It's important that the mono has as little as possible memory. You can of course buy ridiculously expensive mono runningline from almost any fly line maker.

Soaking should be no problem, sure there is a loss of the breaking strength - but usually not much more than 10% - quote from Ultima lines (http://www.ultimauk.com/advice_centre/monofilament/):

"Nylon monofilament absorbs water and becomes significantly softer and more flexible.

While exposure to high levels of humidity in the air is beneficial as it softens nylon monofilament, when submerged in water the absorption level increases and it does begin to have a detrimental effect on the line.

Both linear and knot strength can be reduced by between 10 and 15 per cent after submersion in water for as little as two to four hours, depending on the diameter.

After use, and back in the atmosphere, monofilament will return to its equilibrium point after a number of days or weeks, again depending on the diameter."

Torsten.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Torsten,

Any idea if it remains weaker or returns to full strength and what effect repeatedly doing this would have?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi All

A couple of years ago, I stumbled upon a video on the internet, where a guy recommended that you bring a small stove (eg like a Jetboil) when you go fishing. He would then boil some water, and then pour the boiling water on the mono line while it was on the reel, which would then instantly make the mono shooting line nice and soft...

I have never tried this myself though, and I would be nervous about doing it, but the guy in the video insisted that this was the “ultimate” way to soften a mono shooting line before you start fishing.

Anyway, this is just food for thought.

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Probably English. They boil everything.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”