PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pairing lines to rods

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: Pairing lines to rods

Post by Boisker »

I don’t think so paul... the people I know all go regularly, but I think there’s lots of people for whom fly fishing is one of a number of things they do, I would imagine there are lots who go once a month and less... I certainly hope so as their cast8ng standard would be a worry if they fished 3 times a week
you regularly see people posting they managed to get out for a fish for the first time in weeks... busy lives, family commitments, work.... and gawd forbid some people even go and play golf rather than go fishing :closedeyes:

It would be interesting to know the number of days fishing figures, I’d guess 24 would be above average in the U.K.... for a 6 month season that’s just under once a week...

If rod manufacturers start using rods 1,2 or 3 lines overweight to design their rods I just hope they let us know... otherwise it could be expensively annoying :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Boisker, Jerry Siem used to use a Scientific Anglers GPX to rate his rods.... That line was targeted to be in the narrow gap between classes, and I haven't found one that wasn't a class above the number on the box :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I don’t fish Sage
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

... and then many manufacturers copy Sage. I do believe that’s one of the reasons.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

That’s weird... only 3 words out of my post are showing :oh:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Boisker wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:16 am That’s weird... only 3 words out of my post are showing :oh:
I can see 4 , even if 4 doesnt exist on SL... 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:18 am
Boisker wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:16 am That’s weird... only 3 words out of my post are showing :oh:
I can see 4 , even if 4 doesnt exist on SL... 😉

Cheers
Lasse
I never said I could count :D :D

Some of you no doubt know Jerry, but I came across this earlier-
https://midcurrent.com/podcasts/rod-lor ... erry-siem/
Paul... how does that approach / thoughts re- developing a rod for such a range of casters- from expert, reasonable, poor- compare with how you go about designing a rod?
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

When it comes to novice fly anglers, not every one understands all that is involved. I realized this after running a class for years.

Many hope for it to be easy, and they are shocked at the "complexity" of just purchasing a rod combo. They usually think that cost is going to be their main concern. The numbers on the rod makes sense: you don't use the same rod for trout as you do for marlin. And matching the rod number to the box number makes sense too.

Don't even get into the fact that all flylines are not level lines. Leader profile, "X" factors, and tying your own along with the knots are better left for later too.

Fly fishing is not easy, and in fact, that is what appeals to the ardent fly angler. Not all novices are cut out for it.

Those that are not cut out for it want "easy". And many in the industry are willing to sell "easy", even if it is a mirage.

Over-weighted lines are easier to feel and cast for the short distances that novices are limited with the first time they pick up a rod.

Training wheels limit the efficiency of a bicycle, but ya gotta start somewhere.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

@Mangroove Cuckoo

In my opinion you nailed the essence of the problem with the above description!!!

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Just about to cook dinner Matt and I’ll listen to the pod cast later. Thanks! Basically we make rods for people who are reasonable casters, can double haul, form nice loops in both directions. Ie competent and looking to improve. I don’t think anyone is going to spend 1000$ on a rod when they can’t cast, but maybe?

Anyway as far as I’m concerned anyone who buys a rod through Sexyloops has pretty much spent at least some time working on their casting and should be fine with an HT. They are “fishing” rods and have considerably more feel than many rods on the market, particularly in the lower sections. I and many others teach beginners using them. I can see no point in an instructor rod for example that can’t be used to teach a complete beginner to cast from the get-go.

I also disagree with the premise that better casters always prefer faster rods! There are plenty of excellent casters who prefer slow rods. It’s just unfortunate that a large chunk of the market can’t seem to be able to adjust their stroke to match the rod in hand (whether that be fast or slow) and because for whatever reason they buy rods on he fast/stiff side (marketing probably) they end up overlining them. Personally I think they’ve bought the wrong rod!! Maybe they should have bought a Winston, or a T&T, or even a Sexyloops rod. Best of course would be to spend some time working on simple casting arc changes.

I think a lot of people are very surprised when they pick up an HT rod to find that even when correctly AFFTA aligned it is not a poker! And if they upline intentionally or otherwise then it’s going to feel soft.

Right. Time to cook a battleship feast! :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”