PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod Database

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Rod Database

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Torsten. I’ll look into the calculator. I didn’t know that. Older php version. Will write more in a bit.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Tangled
Answers: 0

Post by Tangled »

Fix the db first :-)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok :) :)

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Torsten
If the loaded frequency is really the "key casting parameter" is in my opinion unknown, you would need to carry out a big study with a lot of data points to prove that.
Not really. I started measuring loaded frequencies in the late 70s. With the help of a competition caster (Edward Mosser) for understanding the basics, I finally wrote my very first model solving the exact mathematical equations for a simple spring (equivalent mass = 1/3 spring mass) by mid 80s. Much later (2003) I sent it to Noel Perkins who named it the “spring & marble” model. It is equivalent to the “car & brick" one from Grunde, but it is not numerical, it uses the exact mathematical solution.

I had no computer but a Casio calculator at that time. It took me hours to get the correct mathematical expression and once you have it the key role of loaded frequency is obvious since this parameter dictates rod response. No numerical model can tell you that, but a pure mathematical model can make it. At the same time it shows you the role of casting arc and timing.

So I do not need a study to demonstrate that loaded frequency is THE casting parameter, It was included in my first model, nearly 15 years before I got a PC and could work on numerical solutions. I feel frustrated any time I read a study involving rods for which the basic parameters have not been measured. And thanks to numerical solutions, I could write a correct spring model to sort out the Self Deceleration Mechanism later on.

When Bill came up with his CCF, I thought he had put the finger on the right point from experiment. However, he never gave attention to the theoretical approach of the cast and never wanted to get involved with the physics of it. That made the discussion with him falling short unfortunately.

I tried many times to define a rod scale but this is an impossible task. If you consider the loaded frequency range for caster, then you realize that overlaps can occur, and then you understand that casters can chose a different line for the same rod for example, or that builders can favor a part of the loaded frequency range and move for higher line mass (hence the trend of the last 20 years for heavier lines). In fact you have a different scale for different series of rods.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

Any chance of breathing life into this, or is Lasse right? :whistle:
Paul said he would resurrect it a couple of months ago, so expect it to be up and running by 2030ish 😉
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

I should add that if it just needs grunt work to move the data, I'm happy to help/do it, if it's possible.
If it needs coding I'm no help at all.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Cheers mate. In just back in Gerik. I will figure out how to extract the old database and then it’s just a matter of typing. Thanks!! I’ll have to check up to see how the access works. I was hoping it could have been imported but apparently that’s even more complicated. :)

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”