PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

MED Line for practice?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: MED Line for practice?

Post by Paul Arden »

I have a bunch of Chinese manufactured lines; I live close by. I believe there are two manufacturers. I’m considering very closely bringing out a budget tackle outfit for this part of the world, which will involve Chinese Rod, Reel, Line and I have excellent communication with one of the China line manufacturers for several years now. It won’t be the Sexyloops brand and I’ll start another brand for it.

What I would say about the fly lines from China is that they are softer and less slick. Less durable too. But everything else is OK (the rest is largely tapers right?) and I can even get true to AFFTA DT full sinking lines from China. (And nowhere else!!). The quality difference is there however.

Anyway we can’t bring out a 100$ line when the entire kit needs to be priced around 150$ total. Which is approx one week’s salary.

It mostly depends on your budget and what is affordable.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix
Answers: 0

Post by Bendix »

Hi

Thanks for all the replies and advice so far.

I am not too worried about the cost of the lines, as I can get them at a discount (that’s one of the benefits of working in a tackle shop...).

But I like the idea of getting a DT line instead of the MED, as a couple of you guys suggested. I can easily see myself using a DT line for my dry fly fishing in the future, while also using it for practice.

In fact, I just searched the Scientific Anglers website, and found a line called Frequency Trout DT in a 5wt, which is stated to be true to weight according to AFFTA, that I found quite interesting. Also, this line is significantly cheaper than the MED...

So this might be the best choice for me, regarding both practice and fishing.

/Bendix
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

One of the lines I have now for this purpose, is a Scientific Anglers VPT in a 5wt, which is bang on in regards to AFFTA standards (according to the box...
Hi Bendix,

I have that line (in a #6) and it is bang on 160 grains :yeahhh: It's very good for spey casting, but i don't think spey tapers are ideal for overhead distance and presentation. I would definitely consider purchasing a DT or MED for carry practice, they also teach you some nice adjustments, too.

If you wanted a shorter head for fishing, then perhaps consider the Rio Technical Trout, Ballistic pro performance or a Scientific anglers mastery standard? These are true to weight and quite excellent, they all go 100' + The ballistic is one of my favourite all round fishing line, speys, presentation casts/mends, distance and accuracy are very comfortable indeed with this. Rio TT is a bit tricky for speys as the weights up front, but it's not impossible.
If someone doesn’t like it, then I think that’s actually a good reason to train with it, because the only real reason not to like it is because carry is an issue.

I agree, Paul. It's a challenging line. :D

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Nick

I have to say, that I used the 5wt VPT for all of my dry fly fishing last year, and I absolutely loved it! The thing is, that I mainly fish small rivers, meaning that a cast between 10 and 12 meters (including a 1,5 times rod length leader) is a long cast... So I suppose, that the VPT acts more like a DT than a WF line in my case.

I have used WF lines with shorter heads in the past, because this seemed to be what everyone recommended for the small Danish rivers, but I have to admit, that after trying the VPT, I won’t go back to short head lines again anytime soon...

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think this brings up a very important point Bendix. I can’t see the point of having a miniaturised shooting head or short WF line for close range casts. Just imagine the situation where the fish is a couple of feet beyond what is reachable within the head range. You now have to shoot to get there. And instead of slipping a couple more feet of head or DT, you now have a rocket launcher... to cast two more feet.

That’s highly impractical and I would much rather fish a DT where I have full control over the line.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Paul

You are absolutely right!

I remember a situation back in 2018, when I was still using a WF line with a head that was around 8 meters long. I spotted a BIG Trout, that was taking Mayflies off the surface, and I had to cast around 14-15 meters, while hiding behind a bush. With this line, I had to shoot the line a certain distance, and it was simply impossible to be accurate enough! So I had to sneak a lot closer to the fish, in order to do a perfect presentation, with the risk of spooking it... Fortunately I got within 10 meters of the Trout, and ultimately landed it safely. It measured 56cm and is today my personal best.

Last year, a similar situation came about, and with the long head of the VPT, it was a whole lot easier to carry the fly the 10-12 meters to the fish, and then catching it. So I absolutely agree with you!

I think the conclusion is, that next time my shop places an order of SA lines, I will get the Frequency Trout DT (the line I mentioned earlier in this thread) in a 5wt for myself! That way I should have it in good enough time, so I can train with it on grass, before the Mayfly season begins. And then use it for my general training sessions with my 5 and 6wt rods, once the season is over.

Thank you all for your help!

/Bendix
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi again

I just thought I would wrap up this thread.

I ended up getting the SA Frequency Trout DT 5 F that I mentioned earlier, and I received it a couple of days ago. After making some new loops, I tried it out on the lawn for about half an hour yesterday. I don’t know exactly what I expected from a DT line, but I really liked the line a lot!
I am now really looking forward to trying the line out for dry flies, when the Mayfly season begins in just a little while. What a fantastic line this is!

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for all your help!

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great Bendix. I haven’t cast the Frequency. It would be good to know how you get on with it in the long term. It’s probably sensible to clean it from time to time. My maintenance is to squirt thin silicone liquid on them on a regular basis. We used to have a great product for this purpose but we haven’t been able to restock for a couple of years now. :evil:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”