PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Reel suggestions for HT4

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Reel suggestions for HT4

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi chaps,

Was asked a question about reels and I’m not the best to answer this. Lars did send me a very nice one recently but I can’t remember what it is?
What reel would you advise I go for to put onto the HT4? I've looked at Galvan Torque T4, but the diameter is only 3.25, where as the T5 is a far better diameter at 3.6. Also, the T5 can accommodate a 4, 5 and 6 weight line. Being based in the UK, I would have to order this from the USA. Any other suggestions?
What do you guys use? I was using a Rimfly but I don’t think this is the right answer to give :D

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix
Answers: 0

Re: Reel suggestions for HT4

Post by Bendix »

Hi

If he is going to use the rod for what you normally use a 4wt for, I think the Danielsson Original Dryfly is hard to beat. This reel will easily hold lines in the 4-6wt range, along with 80-90 meters of 30lb gel spun backing. Also, the reel is without a drag, and the spool runs really smooth and nice.

Also, the Danielsson Original Nymph, might be worth a look. It is pretty much the same as the Dryfly, but has a little smaller size, and can hold a little less line.

If he want’s a drag, then I would recommend looking at Lamson/Waterworks, which offers several models suitable for a 4wt rod. I have often heard that these reels don’t like saltwater, but for freshwater their drag is very hard to beat. However, I have personally never had any issues regarding saltwater with the many Lamson/Waterworks I own...
These reels should be easily available in the UK.

Anyway, that is my advice...

/Bendix
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

I would go for a Danielsson Nymph. I have one myself and it holds a Cortland DT4 with some backing without a problem. It is very light and smooth. Perfect for a 4 weight. If you need a lot of backing a Dryfly would be better though. Its sustantially bigger and thus heavier, though by no means heavy compared to other reels of the same size. Danielsson reels are outstanding value. Very good reels for a very good price. Their service is also topnotch - fast and resonably priced. Highly recommended.
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I really like the guideline fario LW24.... will carry plenty of backing 80m.... not ultra light at 120g, but light enough and feels good on a modern 9’4w light rod.... and really like how they look, very cool... but not really a ‘budget’ real
Also use a nautilus x.... size XS for a 4w... slightly lighter at 108g... a bit cheaper, more mid-range in price... solid reel
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

I use a Vosseler RCL on mine. No brake, but who needs a brake on a 4wt anyway. It's discontinued and replaced by the air one. I'd try that. Cost is nothing considering the built quality which is not comparable to that ... oh no I will not say Chinese crap, will I .. so I don't.

Rimfly would do too. I have an old one as well. Bloody noisy which comes in handy when trying to make friends in crowded places.
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Danielsson Nymph W will take a DT 4 with "some" backing. Superb quality for the price. A simple reel for a simple man.

But, as stated above, no drag, and not a large amount of backing. And if he intends to crawl in bushes, the open structure tends to collect a large number of samples of local vegetation. Still, that is how I use it, for the most part.
ACW

Post by ACW »

The hardy rimfly aka the Marquis#6 does fine on my HT 4.
Then I do own a few ,collected over the years !
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Great -– many thanks guys. He’s gone for the Danielsson Dry Fly. I had a look at mine. I have a Lamson of some description. Also a nice reel, with a slightly wider spool than normal, which I like.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”