PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Cork Seal - pros and cons

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Thomas
Answers: 0

Cork Seal - pros and cons

Post by Thomas »

Hi everybody,

I have recently refurbished a rod with a nice and new corkgrip. What are the pros and cons of using corkseal on corkgrips?

Cheers Thomas
Thomas

Re: Cork Seal - pros and cons

Post by Thomas »

Hi again,

Has anybody any experience with this product?

/Thomas G
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Thomas, this is a good question and I’ve asked a few people but I haven’t had any replies yet. I’m not sure that there would be much benefit. I regularly leave my rods out in the weather for weeks – sometimes months – on end. I have never had any issues.

There are differing qualities of cork however. Perhaps if the cork is of a lower grade it may help. If I find out some more info I’ll post.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Leo M

Post by Leo M »

I have used it but prefer natural cork. Linseed oil also makes a nice finish on cork and it can be sanded off if you don't like it. You can apply as many coats of linseed oil as you want. Put it on and let it dry. Cork gets more shiny with each coat. You can only apply cork sealer once, not sure if you can sand it off. That's all I know.

Leo
Chess

Post by Chess »

I've never really had a problem with cork, apart from getting a bit soiled/dirty. It cleans up OK with soap & water and a kitchen scouring pad. But what I started using after I restored an old rod about 10 years ago was a horse hoof treatment cream called "Equinade Hoof Grease," from the local stock feed supply store. All natural ingredients per the label - animal fats, oils & stockholm tar (whatever that is). It darkens the cork slightly and doesn't leave any greasy residue when polished off. Cork feels great in the hand.
To my mind, it's a good thing. The label also states, "prevents excessive evaporation in dry weather or over-absorption of moisture in wet weather." I reckon the 400g jar will last about 10 lifetimes and cost less than $20 from memory.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I have often used a thin coating of cork seal. It really does help to keep the handle looking a little nicer for a longer time. It also makes it easier to clean the handle. If you stick to one, thin coat you’ll never feel a difference.
Chess

Post by Chess »

Oh, I just had to look it up. I didn't know this about Stockholm tar :
"Stockholm tar is an especially high grade of pine tar which is used among mariners, and also to treat outdoor furniture and rope designed for outdoor uses. Hardware stores and maritime suppliers are a good source for Stockholm tar, which may also be labeled archangel tar."
Might make a line dressing too, who knows?

Return to “Tackle”