PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fullers earth sinkant paste

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Hornbeam
Answers: 0

Fullers earth sinkant paste

Post by Hornbeam »

Does anyone have Richard Walker's recipe for his leader sinkant paste? I make mine with fuller's earth, dish washing up detergent and glycerine, but I can't find the proportions he recommended. These proportions are really not critical (the stuff I make works just fine), but I'd like to log the original recipe accurately. Thanks.
Viking Lars

Re: Fullers earth sinkant paste

Post by Viking Lars »

No, I don’t, but like you I just stir something together. I think I might use some (probably quite relative) proportions Paul taught me. I’m completely dependant on the stuff 😎.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know either. I actually bought a tub once. I can’t remember why, maybe because I had just arrived back in the UK and was on a quick mission. I was surprised because I make mine slightly “wetter”.

I never added glycerine for about 20 years until a Board member kindly sent me some when I was in the States. I was very impressed by the difference, so much so that I would never not now add a few drops!

It would be interesting to know the original proportions. I would imagine this would also depend on the washing up liquid used. I used “concentrated” once - that was a mistake :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

Hi Paul,
When you say "concentrated", what do you mean? I use ordinary Fairy liquid, or similar supermarket 'own brand'. Glycerine and fuller's earth are readily available on the interweb. The refillable toothpase tube type dispensers are quite convenient and help keep these mixtures from drying out. I, too, prefer a 'wetter' mixture than some of the sinkant putties offered in little tubs. About the consistency of slightly loose toothpase works for me. I apply mine with a little felt pad attached to the container.

Incidentally, fullers were the people who were tasked with removing the excess oils (lanolin) from sheep fleeces in the woolen industry. Fuller's earth is a clay, usually bentonite (but sometimes others), used for that purpose: the part of the wool process called 'fulling'.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Tony, concentrated - maybe it doesn’t exist any more - but I used this stuff once and the mud went hard within a few days. Adding water cured that. I guess that’s the bit that made it concentrated :)

I have never seen these dispensers you talk about! What do they look like? I used to use film canisters but of course that’s all history. I now use small plastic bottles. Maybe originally for vitamins or face cream - I’ve no idea. I like the ones I have because I can tie a shoe lace around it with a constrictor knot and I never lose it.

I once had my Fullers Earth mix confiscated at Australian customs :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

Hi Paul,
Because of air travel security regulations and limits on volumes of 'liquids' that can be carried personally 'in cabin', there has become available a vast range of small containers into which one can decant the smaller quntities of shampoo/shower gel/face cream, etc., etc. needed to comply with these regulations. Amongst these are handy little silicone squeeze tubes, with flip caps, that one can screw off to insert whatever 'stuff' is required. Some of these little containers have hanging loops and some, even, come with little carabiners and even retractable 'zingers'.

I am coming to the conclusion that we can use much thinner/looser fuller's earth pastes than the rather stiff putties that have traditionally been sold as leader sinkants. They dry out too readily. I have all the raw materials to hand and shall conduct a few experiments. I'll let you know how I get on.

BTW, as a general principle, I have always tried to re-use/repurpose little plastic and glass jars, pill bottles, etc. They're far to useful to just throw away!

Cheers,
Tony
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

It's the detergent that lowers the surface tension of the water around the mono that lets it break through and sink of course, but it's always bothers me that every time we cast with it on, we liberate a slick of the stuff right next to the fly. Fish have a good sense of smell, surely they can detect lemon-flavoured Fairy liquid?

Not much we can do about it I guess except try not to use scented detergent, but detergent itself must smell pretty nasty to a trout.
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

Tangled wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:15 am It's the detergent that lowers the surface tension of the water around the mono that lets it break through and sink of course, but it's always bothers me that every time we cast with it on, we liberate a slick of the stuff right next to the fly. Fish have a good sense of smell, surely they can detect lemon-flavoured Fairy liquid?

Not much we can do about it I guess except try not to use scented detergent, but detergent itself must smell pretty nasty to a trout.
I think you may worry too much on that score. It is really only a tiny amount of detergent that is left on the leader immediately after application/wipedown with the sinkant and the first time that leader touches the water, the detergent will dissolve and disappear almost instantly. That notwithstanding, I probably wouldn't use a 'flavoured' detergent! ;)
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

Hornbeam wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 amI think you may worry too much on that score. It is really only a tiny amount of detergent that is left on the leader immediately after application/wipedown with the sinkant and the first time that leader touches the water, the detergent will dissolve and disappear almost instantly. That notwithstanding, I probably wouldn't use a 'flavoured' detergent! ;)
Yeh, worry is the wrong word, after all we know it works, but it has to be a factor…
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s an interesting question. I also have also thought about it! I knew people who wouldn’t smoke when tying flies… of course one shouldn’t smoke anyway, at least not nowadays!

I’ve had plenty of refusals but none that I can categorically put down to scented washing up liquid. For the record the last batch I mixed smelled of apples :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”