PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

MED

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: MED

Post by Paul Arden »

Was the green one modified at the same time? The reason I ask is because I'm sure I remember them being the same! Right must cast on the roof and get today's FP ready. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms
Answers: 0

Post by sms »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:47 pm Jesus how am I supposed to read that chart :p Yes there was a 5’ increase in head length but Bruce can’t remember when it was.
Row 3 is distance from the tip in meters.
Rows 4-10 are diameter readings at the locations for seven lines at locations defined on row 3.

Row 12 is the average of the lines at that location (ref row 3)

Row 14 are the max allowed diameters (they allow three individual points to be above)

Row 16 is reference (for info) about MED6.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks mate, I’ll read it again :)

Josh at SA –
Bruce is correct, 5’ was added to the rear taper of the MED back in 2005, not sure why or if that coincided with the name change though. The “Trout” taper is the same as the MED with the exception of the running line. The MED has a longer running line (obviously) and also a diminishing diameter. The diameter of the RL gets slightly smaller toward the back end of the line.
That’s good; there is still a fishing version of the MED. Obviously the MED is fishable I just don’t find the colour aesthetically pleasing in the wilderness! :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Out of curiosity, concerning a long head appropriately colored floating flyline for fishing...

Has anyone tried the Bario GT90?

I love playing with the GT125, and a floating line that is not "tropical" would be a great line for fishing around here during the winter...

Maybe by then lines will be back in stock?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:42 pm Thanks mate, I’ll read it again :)

Josh at SA –
Bruce is correct, 5’ was added to the rear taper of the MED back in 2005, not sure why or if that coincided with the name change though. The “Trout” taper is the same as the MED with the exception of the running line. The MED has a longer running line (obviously) and also a diminishing diameter. The diameter of the RL gets slightly smaller toward the back end of the line.
That’s good; there is still a fishing version of the MED. Obviously the MED is fishable I just don’t find the colour aesthetically pleasing in the wilderness! :)

Cheers, Paul
From the archieved board:
Post by Bruce Richards » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:54 pm

rrw35,
Leeda is the SA distributor in the UK, but they don't bring in every line we make, just the ones they feel they can sell well. It would seem that the XXD would be popular though, considering all the long distance reservoir fishing you have. XXDs are carried by most shops in the US though, and most would gladly ship you one. The 120 ft. orange competition version is also available now also, although only very recently so few retailer/stockists would have them on the shelf. Most won't carry them but would special order. These lines are identical to the standard green lines except for color and length.
Bruce
And I bet at the end of the year, it changed name to MED and got the 5 feet added ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:03 pm Out of curiosity, concerning a long head appropriately colored floating flyline for fishing...

Has anyone tried the Bario GT90?

I love playing with the GT125, and a floating line that is not "tropical" would be a great line for fishing around here during the winter...

Maybe by then lines will be back in stock?
I have the 5 weight floater, and have fished the old intermediate in an 8 a bit. Very very nice line, though 90 feet is a bit on the short side :D , prefer orange for my appropriatly coloured floating flylines though ;)

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah-ha! I knew they were similar at some point. They just stuck 5 feet on the end of the comp version and tapered the running line :D

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Eh.... no, the green and orange XXD where the same except the comp where 15 feet longer in the runingline. Then they made it into the MED, now 5 feet longer in the backtaper on both the green 105 and the orange comp 120 footer.... Then they also changed the runningline to be tapered.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah. I thought the XXD was green and the MED orange. Well that makes more sense now. So there was a green and orange XXD 105 and 120’ respectively. They added 5’ to the head to both and changed the name to MED.

Interesting. Maybe if they would add another 5 feet it would be perfect :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Post 3:
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:37 pm XXD was the predecessor to the MED, and came in both green fishing, and orange competition versions. As Bart says, it looks like the MED has gotten cut at 90 feet and renamed trout :-D

Cheers
Lasse
And why would 5 feet exstra make it perfect?

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Tackle”