PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

GSP core of Monic lines

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Zhongxiang
Answers: 0

Re: GSP core of Monic lines

Post by Zhongxiang »

Thanks for the measurement Lasse. I can imagine it tangles in you stripping basket :D
James9118 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:47 am
In simple terms you've got a three part composite that needs balancing to give to overall density; core, PVC (or PU) and GMB.
If you apply the exact same coating to different cores (i.e. the same PVC/GMB mix and thickness) then you will end up with a different overall line density on account of the different cores.
I see the confusion now which brings the new question that during manufacturing process do they balance the 3 factors or just PVC + GMB neglect core. I suspect it could be the latter.

Cheers
TC
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

If one tunes the parameters to make a belly float, the tip of that line will have a larger density (the share of core being larger). Then surface tension comes into play to help the line tip floating. That remembers me an advertising I saw some 40 years ago which explained that the (sinking) tip was made intentionaly to make the line less visible to the fish. Damned marketing!

Surface tension is the floating parameter for a (greased) natural silk line.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
rusty

Post by rusty »

A la carte,

—-I’ve discovered a few other names for flylines some of which maybe former terminology but, based on various methods of thought or ideals?

Trott line : a single taper build in the #8 also known as a shooting head. (Cortland)
Greased line : more or less replaced by the AFTM line system. (Monic)
Silk line : less than #4 being of insignificant size. (Snowbee)

expressed opinion,
✍️

Return to “Tackle”