PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A different (?) view on rod-design.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Thomas
Answers: 0

A different (?) view on rod-design.

Post by Thomas »

Hi everybody,

I was just out practicing casting with my old Scott G 905-2. I haven´t used this rod in a long time and it was a pleasant experience. When I came home I decided to look for these rods on the second-hand market. Doing so I came across this poster for a G-series especially made for fishing bass with big "bugs". Quite a different philosophy concerning rods compared to the modern credo isn't it? What do you allt think of this philosophy? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Here is the link:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h525985211

Cheers Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: A different (?) view on rod-design.

Post by Paul Arden »

The G series was always a bit soft for me, but for those enjoying glass rods, for me the G series shows just how much better carbon fibre is as a rod building material.

I’ve always been a huge fan of Scott Rods. I love their attention to build detail and much prefer their feel compared to many rods nowadays.

There is no question that fly rods that are especially stiff are a disadvantage to cast. Particularly for fishing casts. I’m sure that this is to a large degree is responsible for the overweight flylines hole that we are currently in.

Rods that “bend” offer significant advantages. Longer tip path, more forgiving, generally easier to cast, and no need to overline for the majority of casters who currently do.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Paul,

I was thinking about the part when Scott states that they deliberately have been the making the tip heavier as a means to aid casting "big bugs". This is the first time I have ever heard a major rod-manufacturer trying to sell a rod by telling its potential customers that its tip is extra heavy. This was the part I was curious about as it certainly goes against the modern trend to take as much weight as possible out of the blank, and in particular its tip-section. :) The poster is the third picture scrolling left.

Cheers Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Thomas,

I didn’t get that part because for me it’s all in Japanese!
02D1F87E-0E00-49B9-B9B4-323BB11CBA08.png
There is a idea I’ve heard in a few places that the ideal rod would be without mass. In fact I’ve also read it in Andy’s interviews with rod makers. I don’t agree with that however because it’s important that the rod bends under its own mass for short casts, particularly leader-only for example.

There is definitely an optimal weight distribution but I would have to try it with a bass bug to determine if it’s different. I’m sure Daniel will have some more insightful thoughts on this.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I will se if I can find a way to post the picture..
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

OK. lets see if this works...
Picture
Picture
i-img400x602-1608791791qomrhm1428965.jpg (42.45 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hallelujah, I am a genius. :)
VGB

Post by VGB »

How big and heavy are bass bugs?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Deer hair frogs. Floppy legs. 1/0. 2/0. Bigger maybe. That sort of thing. Not a lot of weight. But a lot of fluff.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Cheers Paul. If it’s like a pike fly, I’m not seeing any reason for a heavier tip. I would have thought if you are looking for artificial help, a front loaded line would be the way to go. Do you need a delicate presentation for bass?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Tackle”