PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A different (?) view on rod-design.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: A different (?) view on rod-design.

Post by John Waters »

Interesting view of a generalised statement Ron. I would really appreciate your advice as to what aspects of casting technique are different when used by casters in a distance casting tournament compared to "fisherman who are actually fishing". I would be interested in you defining the technique variations you refer to between a distance tournament caster who wants to cast the fly as far as possible with every cast and a salt water fisher who wants to cast as far as possible to cover as much water as possible with every cast. I am researching technique at the moment and would welcome your advice as to how the technique employed in the competition and the recreational distance casting world, differs, and why you believe those variations exist? When you are fishing and want to cast your fly as far as possible, in either fresh or salt water, do you ever watch your line on the backcast? If so why? I understand the challenges trees and other obstacles create with a backcast, so am interested in the other situations you would watch your backcast.

Thanks,

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Don't feed the troll John 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Good advice Lasse, consider it followed from now.

John
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

John Waters wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:17 am Interesting view of a generalised statement Ron. I would really appreciate your advice as to what aspects of casting technique are different when used by casters in a distance casting tournament compared to "fisherman who are actually fishing". I would be interested in you defining the technique variations you refer to between a distance tournament caster who wants to cast the fly as far as possible with every cast and a salt water fisher who wants to cast as far as possible to cover as much water as possible with every cast. I am researching technique at the moment and would welcome your advice as to how the technique employed in the competition and the recreational distance casting world, differs, and why you believe those variations exist? When you are fishing and want to cast your fly as far as possible, in either fresh or salt water, do you ever watch your line on the backcast? If so why? I understand the challenges trees and other obstacles create with a backcast, so am interested in the other situations you would watch your backcast.

Thanks,

John
That's an interesting question John. I will try to address this: " I would be interested in you defining the technique variations you refer to between a distance tournament caster who wants to cast the fly as far as possible with every cast and a salt water fisher who wants to cast as far as possible to cover as much water as possible with every cast."

So please understand that I am not a tournament caster, and you know way more than I do about that subject. With that said, I think (and it's just my opinion) that the tournament caster has one primary goal. And that is to cast as far as possible. The fisherman on the other hand has a different goal. He or she is trying to catch a fish. Sometimes that goal requires a long cast, sometimes it doesn't. But for the sake of this discussion let's assume that it requires the longest cast you can make. The fisherman is focused on something he or she sees. A rising fish, or a section of the river that looks like it might hold a fish, or maybe some structure under the ocean's surface. He or she is looking at that -- the target. Maybe it is a tarpon swimming in a certain direction or a snakehead that has just surfaced to get a gulp of air. The fisherman does not want to take his eyes off that object of his attention -- he will continue to watch it and make his cast. He will not look back to see how his back cast is doing. He doesn't need to because he has done this many times. His focus is on the fish. He makes his back cast and he feels the rod and the line -- there is no need to look! then he sends the fly towards his quarry and the fly lands just where he aimed. He twitches it (something the tournament caster doesn't do), and the fish eats! Fish on!!! Life is good.

--Ron
FFI - CCI
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

John Waters wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:17 am When you are fishing and want to cast your fly as far as possible, in either fresh or salt water, do you ever watch your line on the backcast? If so why? I understand the challenges trees and other obstacles create with a backcast, so am interested in the other situations you would watch your backcast.

Thanks,

John
Hi John,

For the record: Not everyone who disagrees with accepted beliefs is a troll. I harbor no hard feeling and I would welcome a personal phone call to discuss. I'll PM you my phone number.

In the mean time, to answer your question: I have very rarely in 50 years of fly fishing ever watched my backcast. And I have very rarely seen good fly fishing casters watch their backcast. That may mean that I have not seen many good fly casters. I am not involved in competitive casting. 100% of my experience is fly fishing. But I have spent a lot of time watching fly fishermen cast. This is just my personal experience -- I admit that it is entirely possible that my experience is unique. Maybe in other parts of the world fly fishermen watch their back cast. I have no idea, and if that is the case then I would be very happy to learn that.

Regards,

Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:25 pm That’s not quite the way it works Vince. You feel how much force and speed you are applying to the rod — that is the CAUSE, not the result.
I can see that you still don’t understand Newton’s 3rd law.
That when you are fishing you should keep your eyes on the fish not your fly rod or line? When I see fishermen watching their line I immediately think: Newbie.
When I see fishermen that can cast consistently well without looking, I think that they have practiced beforehand. When I see fishermen who are still casting tails after 50 years, I immediately think 🤡

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:30 am Don't feed the troll John 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Yep, good call
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You might think that is the case Paul but all your domes have a flat roof.
Indeed.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Tangled wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:22 pm Anyway, he made a comment during a day where I'd spent most of it trying to stop him breaking his wrist on the backcast - he said "you can feel it when you get it right can't you?" At the basic level you can, you feel the backcast and following forward cast if done right.
What do you do if it’s not done right?

VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:21 am
You might think that is the case Paul but all your domes have a flat roof.
Indeed.
So would you say that your angular force is being applied to the line in a non angular way? :whistle:

Return to “Tackle”