PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A different (?) view on rod-design.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Tangled
Answers: 0

Re: A different (?) view on rod-design.

Post by Tangled »

VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:30 am Plaster of Paris is a good enduring fix for breaking wrists.
More relevant for a broken wrist, but the concept is sound until newbie can control his wrist himself.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Tangled wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:41 am More relevant for a broken wrist, but the concept is sound until newbie can control his wrist himself.
How will you ensure that happens?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Tangled wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:41 am
VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:30 am Plaster of Paris is a good enduring fix for breaking wrists.
More relevant for a broken wrist, but the concept is sound until newbie can control his wrist himself.
I have a drill for this. The problem is not always the wrist but the combination of elbow and wrist. Lesson now. Will write it later.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:31 am The argument that feelers will resort to original feel is the same as saying that you need to always watch your cast if you are a see-er”. :D It’s about changing the feel and ingraining new patterns.
Except that the see-ers start to look when it is going wrong and know what is needed to correct it. Once it is corrected, they go back to occasional monitoring of their autonomous behaviour, the feel-ers just buy a new rod. As I have mentioned before and you heard in the podcast, there are hundreds of studies confirming visual cues as providing the best route to learn movement skills and for that learning to stick. We even observed you changing your behaviour when you had to learn a new task when casting with 2 rods in hand. Just because you've reached a certain age and can't remember learning, it doesn't mean it didn't happen :p

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Different time zone :D I’ll write it now.

Maybe the problem is excessive wrist but it’s also in part the way the arm/hand is being used in the backcast. As you’ll probably know now I’ve been completely converted to the “sequential stop” ie blocking the forearm and allowing the wrist to flip.

So I teach this motion by moving my forearm back and forwards and showing how the wrist flips over. I also show palm forwards V-grip (extension/flexion), if we are going to use the wrist we might as well make truly effective use of it!

I then move briefly back to Triangle method utilising this motion (which is different to how I used to teach it with minimal wrist).

And now here comes the drill…

PUALD exercise starting with 1 meter of flyline outside the rod tip, closed stance. Lift the rod tip slowly from the elbow, drawing straight back from the fly, so that the line lifts to the leader, pause fractionally (I know we don’t want to pause in real time but this is for the drill and we can explain that) then flip the wrist. Notice how the line hangs at an angle, the lift itself is actually quite short. This angle teaches you where your backcast should go. This cast length is virtually all wrist (and the backcast is very high!)

Repeat a few times and then add a metre. Now the lift is slightly longer, pause fractionally and flip the wrist. (Note the line angle, I always talk about a hanging bell behind the caster’s shoulder, angle of the backcast is still high but slightly lower than with 1m of flyline pickup).

Repeat a few more times and then add another metre and so on.

You might need to add some control element to the wrist but since this is the focal point of this exercise it is easy.

Later we can apply it to the forward cast, which usually comes quite naturally as soon as you mention it. And finally (depending on where we are in the lessons) we can add the haul to this point too. It should end up with high line speed high backcast and tight loops.

I think this is much better than constantly saying “no wrist” or tying the rod to the forearm or all the other things we do. It’s really about trying to utilise the wrist effectively.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t think it’s one thing or the other Vince. A rod is 90% graphite but without the Resin it’s pretty floppy :)

Flycasting Definitions
Tangled

Post by Tangled »

VGB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:59 am How will you ensure that happens?
You're the expert, what would you do?

In the '50 years ago manual' it would tell you to tuck the butt into your Barbour's sleeve and do 10 to 2.
I've seen an instructor (recently) use a velcro strap.

On this particular day I tried many things, explaining (the guy was a civil engineer so understood the physics of what we were trying to do), demonstrating, breaking the stroke into parts, and shouting "windscreen wiper" at him when he forgot. He was fairly competent after a while - competent enough to chuck 30' of line and catch a fish.

We forget how alien the whole thing is to someone who hasn't touched a rod before.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:32 am I don’t think it’s one thing or the other Vince. A rod is 90% graphite but without the Resin it’s pretty floppy :)
Which is why the sports psychologist said it’s 80-90% eight and the studies say it is the dominant sense. Only the feelers don’t need sight to cast. What’s a boy to do?

Will get back on your last question soon, surrounded by work crocodiles

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Exactly. It’s not 100% sight.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:49 am Exactly. It’s not 100% sight.
Nobody has made that claim

Return to “Tackle”