PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Understanding trout carbon rods

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Understanding trout carbon rods

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bendix

Ok, still, the weight difference between the loop and the Vision rods is so big that it can't be fittings unless loop has put weights in the butt section. Though not completly unheard if, Svendsen sport did it with a line of Ron thompson rods 😉 I doubt loop choose to do it on a flyrod 🙂

Still bringing lines, now also a scale 🤣

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Lasse

Loop has also made rods with extra heavy butts in the past. Many years ago, I briefly fished for Salmon with a 10ft 7wt Loop Goran Andersson Signature Series, which had an extra heavy butt to create balance with the modern lightweight reels (at least that’s how Loop explained it…). The rod was even delivered with extra weight rings, which could be added to the butt, by unscrewing the fighting butt. So it has been done by Loop before.

/Bendix
sms

Post by sms »

Lasse, bring accurate scale (don’t bother with the butt section thou) and a (a good digital) caliper.

Even then you need to be careful with the weight analysis depending on how many, what size and type of guides they have used.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bendix, those where the twohanders for balance, lots have done that, there's bruce and walkers with insert into the unscrewable buttcap etc. Here we are talking singlehanded rods, and apart from the troutbum series agm with heavy composite handles, loop hasn't gone that route before.

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Sakari, I will bring an accurate scale, butt sections are usually where the biggest weight difference can be found, so they will get weighed too 😉

Cheers
Lasse

sms

Post by sms »

And the biggest variation in the butt section is due to other things than the blank mostly.

-Sakke
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

@Lasse

No, it wasn’t a double hander, but it was a 10ft 7wt single hand Loop GASS rod, that came with 3 extra metal discs, that could be added to the reel seat, by unscrewing the fighting butt.

/Bendix
sms

Post by sms »

Just weighed four rods I have built.
Two are NFC Iconoglass #10 8'6" and two NFC Iconoglass #12 8'6" blank shortened from the butt by 2" so real length about 8'4".
Of the glass rods, the #10s are the top and second from the bottom. #12 are the second glass from the top and the most bottom one. The extra threads on the green #12 were not varnished and I just had not removed them before taking the photo.
https://www.perhokalastajat.net/keskust ... &mode=view

#10s from tip to butt:
Cyan 8,1g / Green 8,0g
Cyan 22,0g / Green 21,8g
Cyan 41,5g / Green 41,4g
Cyan 98,6g / Green 106,4g

#12s from tip to butt:
Cyan 9,3g / Green 9,1g
Cyan 21,9g / Green 21,7g
Cyan 48,6g / Green 48,3g
Cyan 99,8g / Green 104,2g

-Sakke
DryFly

Post by DryFly »

This story might fit in here:
One of my dealers for rod building supplies has his own blanks made in an asian factory.
He visited the factory years ago and found there a big box full off unfinished blanks. He bought the whole box and sold the blanks cheap to us.
These were many fly - blanks but also spinning.
All the blanks were ruffly grinded, not painted and some joints had to be fine tuned.

All the blanks had a small sticker on that told the material, rod lenght and casting weight and the company that it was made for.
All blanks were made of IM 8.
Some company names were unknown like "Sunfu" , "Rivertreck", but also Beulah( Guideserie), Orvis! and Sage!!
I bought a handfull of these blanks, inclusive the Sage blank.
I do have all the infomation of the Sage blanks since 1990 and when browsing through the catalogs, I couldt´t finde a blank simular to this one.
It was a 9´ #6 with a very slim profil.
When I traveled NZ 6 month later, I was surprised to find a new Sage rod in the shops over there - the "Response".
And it was the #6 Response that was my blank!

Reinhard
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I was told a story about a German shop owner who designed his own reel in the Far East and before he had even taken shipment a competitor was selling the exact same reel. You just can’t do business that way.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”