PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Rod Accuracy

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Fly Rod Accuracy

Post by Graeme H »

It might be a manifestation of the gyroscope effect. (Conjecture)
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Oh yeah, just look where comp casting is after Tor won in '14 and several people believed he was using a loomis nrx 12 weight instead of the 8 weight he actually was using...

My guess would be 2 things, one a softer rod does less impact on the body ( quite a valid point when talking about having a 10 year old practice thousands of casts without end) and secondly it's what we have been using the last 40 years, we aren't foing to change a winning recipe just yet 😉 as I mentioned elsewhere, Maxine was using a different rod in 18....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Lasse,

True about a 10 year old but he wasn’t just talking about Maxine’s rod. He was making a generalization about other members of the US team as well.

Or…. To keep her sponsorship the rod she used in 18 could have been a fenwick with a different label.

Could still be yankee propaganda knowing there were a couple of foreign interlopers in the crowd who would then spread the word. I mean I’ve never purposely fed anyone disinformation myself but I hear it happens. Although saying I hear it happens could also be disinformation. :p

I’m off to shave my legs for casting practice. I’ll let you know how it goes. ;)
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Walter, I refer to part 2 of my argument, and really nicely painted fenwick then, especially since the sponsor was also part of the US team :D

Looking forward to hear about the shaved legs effect, we know bushy eyebrows is a thing for distance 😉

Cheers
Lasse

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:15 am I think stance matters more :p
Maybe relevant?

I have continued to play with balancing on one foot while casting. I have no reason for it other than its challenging and a curiosity, and I doubt it will ever catch me more fish. Although I have to admit I find it amazing how doing anything over and over you get better at it... and supposedly that is because there is some kind of re-wiring going on in the brain! My left handed casting started to see if I could re-wire that... and that has definitely caught me more fish.

But, as to stance... this balancing has definitely demonstrated to me that balancing on one particular foot leads to better accuracy. And no matter which hand you are casting with! So... I am thinking this might translate into which foot to use for most of the support when casting normally on both feet in particular stances?

Anybody want to guess which foot?

BTW... I have not tried the "keep false casting until you hover right over the target" technique. All of my accuracy casting is done with one back cast, as it will be when fishing. I"ll try hovering and see what happens.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Gary

Right one?

I do find it relevant, but its one little piece of a bigger puzzle where practice really is the kicker. Engaging your core offers greater stability, greater stability offers better balance, better balance offers better accuracy in movement, which in the end offers better results in hitting something. If one also works on aim, triangulation etc.

And yeah, my fishing accuracy is also one shot. But playing with hovering is quite cool. Was shown by Peter Hayes in 2007, and it was quite a treat. Combined with focus it does do wonders for ones accuracy scores.

Cheers
Lasse

Walter

Post by Walter »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:28 pm Walter, I refer to part 2 of my argument, and really nicely painted fenwick then, especially since the sponsor was also part of the US team :D
Based on conspiracy theory 101 that just proved it. The establishment, in this case the team and the manufacturer, are always involved in the conspiracy. Probably got the poor girl’s daddy being held hostage somewhere. :ninja:
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Seeing as daddy Glen was part of the team, that seems highly unlikely... 😉

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Tackle”