PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Rod Accuracy

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: Fly Rod Accuracy

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:58 pm So when you were talking with Paul about technological advances in competition distance casting with Paul, you were referring to the casting events in the Ancient Olympics. That's good to know :whistle:
Vince, that’s quite a leap.

Answer this: Why don’t top tournament casters use bamboo fly rods?

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:43 am
Vince, that’s quite a leap.

Answer this: Why don’t top tournament casters use bamboo fly rods?

Cheers,

Ron
Because they are not dinosaurs
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

That’s true no doubt. Or said in a more direct and to the point manner: they know that modern graphite fly rods are superior. Reason: The modern rods resist bending better (they’re stiffer for their weight) and the casters know that bend matters.

Cheers!

Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

So bending less matters
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Burnt plastic weighs less than tall grass.

That's the reason, none other.
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Isn't it amazing how technology has improved how far a fly rod can cast? Think about using a branch from a tree -- see how far you can cast with that. Then the technology that was used to make a split bamboo fly rod. It's unimaginable to me that someone actually came up with the methodology to plane down strips of grass, taper them just right and heat treat them so they bend perfectly. Then glue those fine strips together to make an amazing efficient casting tool. Then --- plastic! What an amazing invention -- The modern fly rod is incredible -- we have it good boys! Technology has made all of our lives so much better ...

Enjoy the day and have some fun,

Ron
FFI - CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

RSalar wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:01 am Isn't it amazing how technology has improved how far a fly rod can cast? Think about using a branch from a tree -- see how far you can cast with that.
81ft with a GT125

Alexander Grant 65 yds double hander

how did you get on?

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

To the original question I would use a DHD 40’ (or longer) rod and dap :D If however the rod length was restricted to less than this then 8’6-9’ I think is around optimal for accuracy. I know some competitors who prefer 8’6 to 9’. I know one who prefers fibreglass.

I also want a softer rod. This is for two reasons. One (and by far the most important) is that it’s easier on the hand to practise with a rod when you initially stop a shorter lever. Many people complain of hand cramps when practising accuracy for longer periods on time. I’m convinced it’s because they are using stiffer rods. The US team all use what we would consider to be soft rods.

The second reason I believe is that we get a slightly longer SLP fr the same effort. This makes in my mind more like using a rifle to a pistol.

Incidentally it’s possible to produce very stiff cane rods. Indeed some of the stiffest rods I’ve cast have been cane. But they are heavy and difficult to stop. I have a cane rod at home that would certainly not be out of place for accuracy. If I was visiting Hungary prior to Norway I would be tempted… :D

The HT5 was finalised by throwing at rings. In this respect it’s far more comfortable to cast than the HT6 with the MED5. Although to say it was more accurate would be a bit of a stretch.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:06 am I also want a softer rod. This is for two reasons. One (and by far the most important) is that it’s easier on the hand to practise with a rod when you initially stop a shorter lever. Many people complain of hand cramps when practising accuracy for longer periods on time. I’m convinced it’s because they are using stiffer rods. The US team all use what we would consider to be soft rods.
Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

The ability to practice for longer periods of time without fatigue is definitely a factor for me. This is a little off the original topic but do you ever suggest the use of shorter and lighter rods for practicing distance casting? (Just to get the movements down) For example you mentioned tracking and body rotation regarding my 170 video. Would it make sense to practice the 170 cast with a smaller rod (like a 7 1/2 foot 4wt) so that I can practice for longer periods? I found that it helped when working on my double haul timing -- it was easier and more fun and I could practice indefinitely without getting tired.

Just a thought. It kind of goes along with the idea of using pantomime as a means of practicing.

Thanks,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Ron,

I haven’t thought of it with regards rod length. Certainly with line weight, generally recommending a 5 or 6 line. A shorter rod will also have the same effect.

The only reservation I have is that some of the shorter rods might not be built for distance. A 7’6 rod is going to be better optimised for short stream casts. I managed to break one of our 7’y prototypes carrying 90’. I had a long hard think about that and considered compromising the action to enable it. But then I thought why? After all that’s not really what it’s about. We made a few adjustments but I never carried 90’ again.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”