PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Lines for big streamers in tight places

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Lines for big streamers in tight places

Post by Paul Arden »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:24 pm Except you'd clip the tip all the time with the 10 and the 6 throws tails right Paul 😉

The fish might be more fun on the 6 though...

Cheers
Lasse
Yep that about sums it up :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
SevenWeight
Answers: 0

Post by SevenWeight »

Orvis Hydros Bank Shot for the one-and-done/brick-on-a-string cast with a bulky or heavy fly in tight spots … available in 5 and 6 weights so you don’t have to overline any more than what’s already built into the line. I find it wilts too much in the Florida summer heat so I use SA Tropical Titan (available in 8 weight and up) from May through September and throw Wulff Triangle Taper Saltwater Bermuda Short in the lighter weights (like the Bank Shot, it’s available in 5 and 6 weights).
sms
Answers: 0

Post by sms »

Heavy quite aggressive taper for water borne casts line is the way to tackle this. So, short head that is rear-heavy but still is not too thin at the tip.

Micro-skagit is essentially just that, especially if the belly is not just flat. Vision hybrid is basically the same with integrated running line. These all give the option of different sinking tips too.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Greetings.
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:36 pm Tight spots, micro skagit.
Reporting back after finally fishing this setup for a couple of days.

TL;DR: Works as advertised.

Longer version: I bought an OPST 225 grain micro skagit for a 9’ 6wt. I looped 5’ of T-8 (40 grains, I think) and 2-4 feet of tippet at the end. OPST specs suggest that the tip could be heavier. I used a lightweight coated salmon running line.

I cast big streamers with very little space behind, partially because wading is severely restricted at the beginning of the season. End result: as suggested here, this type of line suits this purpose extremely well. It carries the tip and the fly with ease. The skagit head pulls even unnecessarily heavy running line when the cast hits the spot.

Interestingly enough eventually, in the majority of places, the best cast turned out to be the single spey. First, it has a very small surface contact area, which is important when fishing among trees and rocks. Second, with a waterborne anchor, the tip starts to sink fast, so even with a briskly initiated sweep, the behaviour of the anchor can be difficult to anticipate, especially in turbulent places.

As always, SL delivers excellent advice.

Return to “Tackle”