PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

motorcycle trip

Moderator: Haggisboy

Limpe Iven
Answers: 0

motorcycle trip

Post by Limpe Iven »

So, after i stowed away the rods and reels i picked up a different hobby, working on motorcycles again.
Having a degree in motorcycle mechanics and my share of all types of motorcycles (mostly crotch rockets) i decided to build me a chopper, mostly to take it easy and enjoy riding the backroads, decided it would be a lot safer than the fast bikes i used to own and ride.
Wise decision, judging from the lack of speeding tickets and other traffic violations :glare:
Bought me a donor bike for the engine and gearbox, got me a 70's style hardtail frame and bolted it all together, fabricated most of the parts myself, even bought me a lathe to make some parts.
After breaking in the engine and making sure all the gremlins where gone i packed for a roadtrip to Norway.
Just theh basics, tent, air matress, sleeping bag, cooking gear, tools and spareparts (it is a harley..) and i found a way to pack an 8 weight and a small box of clouser minnows.
Bike, geared up.
Didn't have the space to pack waders and stuff so limited the fishing to saltwater, all fishing was done from shore or a jetty (almost all jetty's there will provide fish)
Started the trip from my hometown, headed up to Kiel to take a ferry to Oslo, there was no plan or specific goal, just ride and see where we would be ending up, highest we got was the Lofoten Islands totalling the trip to somewhat 7300 km's in 2,5 weeks, some days with did some more km's than others but averiging 500/day, on a bike with stone-age engineering, almost no brakes, no suspension, no electric start and a 120 km radius because of the ridiculous small gastank-looks over functionality!)

Casting from a jetty;

Early morning packing and gearing up, sometimes in the most scenic settings;

The espresso machine, never leave home without it;

Nearby one of a lot of salmon-farms;

Wonderful Nord Norway, imagine riding there with your homebuild bike, great weather, lack of traffic, at some days it felt like being in A NG documentary.

Just crossed the artcic circle;

Over the Luonosjakha river nearby the Swedish border

Having fished in Norway before it was kinda nice to see a lot of places where i used to fish, like here, the Atnabrue

Not sure but i think this was in the area of the Saltstraumen

Weather can be a bitch there..

This was a wonderful expierence, combining two hobby's (didn't pay much attention on the third hobby-photography due to the lack of space to pack some nice gear) and i'm planning to do it again soon, did even consider buying a modern bike again, the adventure type in order to ride a bit more comfortable and to have more room for gear and to cover more km's.

Cheers!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: motorcycle trip

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow what a trip!!! :cool: :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

That's quite amazing. Love it!

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Here is a homemade chopper (the one at the back) at my friends welding shop in Malaysia :D it needs some work... :p
Attachments
EDC91106-65D5-41FD-A368-29B03723FC63.jpeg
EDC91106-65D5-41FD-A368-29B03723FC63.jpeg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jearley

Post by Jearley »

That’s something you don’t see everyday. I usually don’t associate Harleys with European rod trips. I’m a sucker for a hardtail! It does remind me of what my father would say about his Harleys:

“Ride a mile, walk a mile”

Very nice.

Return to “Manshit”