PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New mothership?

Moderator: Haggisboy

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

New mothership?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

For some reason I thought your mothership was going to be a catamaran? The photo sure looks like a standard hull!

The catamaran design (or pontoon boat) is common around Florida for old folks on the many inland lakes. They are called "party barges" and make folks comfortable as they do not list. They can carry rather large outboard motors and lots of patio furniture type seating, etc.

I have been musing about getting a used one (they go cheap as many folks seldom use 'em after a few trips), and stripping all the top crap off. Turning it into, essentially, a mobile floating camping platform for out in the Everglades. I would still fish from canoes portaged by the mother-barge.

Why did you choose your design?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: New mothership?

Post by Paul Arden »

Never thought about it but didn’t think about it too much either. This is a stepping stone for us. Doing one thing. Five years later doing something else. This’ll work.

I have to buy an ocean going sailing boat plus the trimmings in 5yrs. Of course mastering this fishery at the same time In doing it, is really what it’s all about.

Best thing I’ve ever done. Quite a stepping stone! Had you mentioned if before I’d have gone catamaran, that’s certainly my next boat. :)

Funny; I’ve put a lot more thought into my next boat. Guess that says something!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thinking about it however, getting it here would be a problem! The length was picked purely as the maximum that can be trailered.

Anyway it’s important to get it done. It’s already two years overdue :D

I hope you can make it over here while I’m still here!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
piffilus
Answers: 0

Post by piffilus »

Wouldn't all the stumps all around hamper the navigation of the Battlefish. Of course it depends on how you are going to use her. I have had a conundrum in my head of how you are going to tow the Rocket C and The Ronan. If after the Battlefish, wouldn't they collide in to it when slowing down? Or would they be tethered close to the Battlefish? Fuck, I even ponder these thing when I try to sleep man and haven't figured it out yet. :pirate:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It depends how you slow down. If you are abrupt then sure! I’m not sure how I’ll tow them yet either. I suspect in convoy. The other option is to tie them to the side of course. I see both on the lake with the houseboats.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve towed one or other boat quite regularly now; there is a lot of friction through the water. If I slow down “slowly” nothing collides. I do however have to keep the outboard lowered on the towed boat otherwise it veers off at interesting angles :laugh:

Speeds will be low while towing and planing I’m sure will be out of the question!
I have been musing about getting a used one (they go cheap as many folks seldom use 'em after a few trips), and stripping all the top crap off. Turning it into, essentially, a mobile floating camping platform for out in the Everglades. I would still fish from canoes portaged by the mother-barge.
This sounds like a fantastic idea, Gary!!! Back to your original question, originally I had planned to buy an existing catamaran hulled houseboat but the owner in the end didn’t want to sell and by the time it came to build the authorities had put a limit to the number of houseboat licenses on the lake. So I’ve had to steer away from anything that looks like a houseboat.

The advantage of this configuration however is that eventually I can put a couple of 100 HP on the back and if I’m not towing boats I can fly. This will give other options such as leaving the fishing boats in location and making faster pickups. There are some pretty big distances involved. It’s 40km run to one of my prime locations, which takes about an hour and 20 minutes on the plane with my boats but loaded can be over 2 hrs. It’s going to be slow towing and I’ll do it in stages!

I was originally thinking houseboat, speedboat and two fishing boats. I’m looking now at speedboat/cabin and possibly 3 fishing boats.

Another advantage is that 26x8’ is road legal towable. Which is great if I want to bring it into town for welding. But as I say, I’m here for 5 years, it’s not forever. Most important is toilet/shower/shelter/some privacy and these things increase my potential market for guests who need some sort of luxury. I’m particularly looking at Chinese and Singapore markets who don’t “shit in the woods”!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Manshit”