PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Being fit

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Being fit

Post by Paul Arden »

I know quite a few of you are into different sports, from weight lifting to running. I train seven days/week, mostly on the bike at the moment, but also I use a dumbbell and a chin up bar also most days. Running is a few times/week and soon I’ll be swimming every day again too. I think I have a really good opportunity to improve my swimming technique living on the water, as it were, and of the three Tri activities this is certainly my poorest - despite being a qualified lifesaver now :D

Anyway I’ve been really focussing on my diet. Quite a few years ago I met a fly fishing dentist from Romania who was a pretty serious hill runner, having been considerably overweight at one point. He recommended that I try the 5/2 diet. This basically is where you eat five days a week anything you want but two days a week you fast. These days should be non-consecutive.

I’ve done this diet a few times now, in fact it’s now currently my regular eating habit (although I still drink beer on “fasting days”!). A couple of interesting things happen - on the days you do eat you don’t suddenly stuff yourself, if anything you are less hungry, eat less and feel full quicker. But the really fascinating thing for me, is that the day after not eating and before I’ve eaten again I have my best training days - harder/faster on the bike, quicker runs. This I don’t understand, but it’s very noticeable and I have measured it many times. It’s certainly very interesting - and a thoroughly effective and easy diet to maintain.

One race this year - probably a 70.3 - I’ll try fasting the day before to see how this works.

I don’t know if any of you have watched Game Changer on Netflix which is basically about vegetarian diets and sports - well worth watching if you haven’t. And I can certainly attest to their conclusions! I tried this as an experiment myself 19 years ago and noticed that my runs were quicker (I was running 100 miles/week then) and haven’t looked back since.

Right... I’m going to go and jump on the bike trainer for an hour :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas
Answers: 0

Re: Being fit

Post by Thomas »

Hi Paul,

I have been experimenting with different versions of periodic fasting for around 7-8 years now. I have tried the 5/2 diet but the version that suits me best is called 18/6. It means that for each day and night (24 hours) you have a 6 hour long stretch where you are allowed to eat. During the remaining stretch of 18-hours you are of course allowed to drink as long as you not are drinking stuff does that contains calories (for me this is water, coffee and tea). This way of periodic fasting suits med perfect as I have never been a great fan of eating in the morning. My first meal of the day is lunch, the second is dinner. And thats about it. (Of course I make exceptions to this routine if I am going to a party or something similar.) Until I became 40 I was always very skinny (in a good way) and I did not have to think about eating or dieting. But since passing 40 I noticed that my body fat slowly increased. Periodic fasting has taken care of that and I am now back to my old self despite being 46 years old. And I also have my best runs on an empty stomach!

Cheers
Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Thomas. I probably do something quite similar to that naturally. I rarely eat breakfast, and often only have one meal per day. If I do have two meals then one is no more than a snack really.

Learning to eat while racing has been quite difficult and I’m not sure what value I get out of it :laugh: Some day we’ll all be dieticians :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Paul,

I am quite fit, i can lift a reasonable amount (about 50kg comfortably for a day) but i'm lanky as anything, and i don't weigh a lot! I do eat healthily, but i really don't 'watch' my diet so to speak. I don't eat junk food :) I do a lot of walking but that's about it, my job is very physical.

All the best!

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great! Maybe it’s because I was always into rugby and running when I was young, but if I don’t train I balloon out and look like Buddha.

Zwift and the bike trainer is awesome. One hour indoors is worth about two hours outdoors. I get more variety too since I only cycled one route outdoors :D It’s 12V and so should wire into the boat quite nicely. It might be a problem without Internet however but I have another app that I think can work offline. Can thoroughly recommend that!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Ah yes you did mention the Rugby to me :D Do you really?! That's quite impressive if i'm honest.

That sounds really cool! Do you have a rowing machine as well? I used to love rowing boats when i was younger, don't do it much anymore though :)

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No I don’t but I will no doubt buy a kayak soon. This will be great for training and stalking Gourami in open water midday flat calms. They are unapproachable in the boat. I used to fish the States frequently with a kayak and it was great on all fronts.

Had rugby gone professional a few years earlier I would have done that. I remember very well making a decision to chase summers and fishing instead of winters and rugby when at the Ardleigh Fishing Lodge. Professional rugby at that time would have been my decision I’m sure. Probably just as well it didn’t happen because my body would be fucked now :D (and I would have missed out on 20 seasons NZ fishing!).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
daniel

Post by daniel »

Haven't been in a gym for quite a few years now, but when I was last into it I followed the 18/6 intermittent fasting method that Thomas mentions. Work at the time meant I could train early in the morning on an empty stomach. Despite everyone at the gym telling me I was crazy, I had the best results and was the strongest I'd been for many years.

No interest in doing that kind of training again but regularly think about going back on that sort of eating schedule.
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

There's a stack of evidence that fasting is really good for you, with NO downside. The 5/2 regime works for me. I get a bit fidgety on the afternoon of a fast day (I don't eat anything; just drink water), but it's extraordinary how unhungry you feel the following day. Yesterday was a fast day for me (Mondays and Thursdays). I've just had a cup coffee this morning and no desire to chew the leg off a chair! And you feel really sharp and mentally alert.

Cheers,
Tony
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

There's a stack of evidence that fasting is really good for you, with NO downside. The 5/2 regime works for me. I get a bit fidgety on the afternoon of a fast day (I don't eat anything; just drink water), but it's extraordinary how unhungry you feel the following day. Yesterday was a fast day for me (Mondays and Thursdays). I've just had a cup coffee this morning and no desire to chew the leg off a chair! And you feel really sharp and mentally alert.

Cheers,
Tony

Return to “Manshit”