PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Being fit

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Being fit

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll pick up on it again. I had a case of shingles shortly after this discussion - lost a bunch of weight quickly and I suspect it knocked back my immune system. Back on track now though.

Of course this year is upside down. Plan was five long distance triathlons as a turning 50 challenge. That will now happen next year, once I have actually turned 50 😀 I’m still peddling hard! That indoor Zwift stuff is excellent. And I can do it on the boat which is perfect.

All good fun!!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Christ Paul! Shingles is incredibly painful (so I've heard) Pleased you are back on track, are you weight lifting at the same time you are cycling? Now that would be cool!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah it was actually quite painful :D it’s an internal pain which is strange. Went and saw a doctor and cleared it all up.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hey man, thats some serious shite 😲
My mother in law has it at the moment, what did your doc do for you to get over it?

Glad to hear you're on the other side!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Two different pills and some cream. It’s just chicken pox reminding you of when you were a child. She should see a doc. I went quite early and I’m pleased that I did. That was just before my mum visited. Not the best timing.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

I had chicken pox about 60 years ago. Thankfully, I don't think I've ever had shingles. Is this the first time you've had it, Paul?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep. The chicken pox stays in your body and it’s not uncommon for it to recur as shingles. I had no idea about this until it happened. I initially thought that the rash was created from the heart rate monitor strap, or insect bites, but I couldn’t understand the internal pain. It felt like I had broken a rib, or like the time I went airborne after the world championships running down a hill overtaking Lee. Actually being airborne was fine, it was the landing that was the problem! :D

Anyway as soon as I visited the doctor he knew exactly what it was. Within about a week I was fine. However I suspect that it happened as a result of losing a lot of weight quite quickly and my immunity system was affected.

The other alternative is that this happened quite soon after being nailed by leeches and being on some medication to fix that problem.

In any case I’m fighting fit again :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

Just back to the subject of 5/2 diet and fasting for a moment, this guy seems to be the authority on the subject. I've watched a few of his vids on Youtube. Very informative and interesting, I thought.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Tony. I enjoyed that. One point I think worth making is that on the days after not eating, I haven’t felt the need to gorge myself, indeed I’ve eaten noticeably less and felt full quicker.

I was reading a report last week about COViD-19 and how if you have diabetes you are twice as likely to die and the pharmaceutical companies are likely to suffer from this because (hopefully) those affected will lose weight instead of take more drugs.

Have dug it out... Not so much a report an opinion piece Breakingviews - Diet drive could spell leaner years for Big Pharma
https://reut.rs/3hchJjb

Anyway great stuff and I’m convinced. Thing about these things is that you have to try them; the proof of the pudding is in the eating, or not, as in this case. It was not uncommon for me not to eat for a few days at the end of every month in the past (no money!) and the weight always dropped off.

And of course a great point is made there that no one makes any money out of this. You can’t make money out of selling fasting! But you can make money out of pills, shakes, surgery and all the rest.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

Last week, as an experiment, I ate nothing at all on from Sunday evening through to about 13.00 on Friday. I drank mostly water, but also my usual coffee with some milk (I gave up sugar in tea and cofee in my early teenage years). Apart from feeling a bit fidgety in the afternoons and it was worse on the first fasting day, I felt absolutely fine. I found myself actually enjoying the prospect of food (even watching TV cookery programmes), but without any pressing sense of hunger. I'm sure that knowing that one can break the fast at any time one chooses is a big psychological factor here.

I absolutely concur with your experience, Paul: you don't feel a need to gorge; you do eat less and feel full/satiated quicker when you do resume eating.

During the whole week I felt absolutely fine (I had a very mild and transient headache for a bit) and very 'sharp' and mentally alert. I shall certainly be doing this again from time-to-time and, maybe, even, on a reguler basis.

Return to “Manshit”