PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Being fit

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Being fit

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s interesting. I skipped Thursday and Friday and again on Sunday. I’m Zwift riding every day 1-2hrs and mostly racing. What I did notice on Friday night, after entering an 80km ride, I decided after about 40 that I had had enough. Whereas on Sunday night after one day of fasting I had no problems with 50Km. So I’m going to sit with one day on one day off for a while. What I like about the days off is there is no cooking :D And with days on I actually can spend some time making something nice.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
carlz
Answers: 0

Post by carlz »

I'm curious what different people mean by "fasting" . Is it water only? Coffee? Broth? And for how long? 18 hrs? 24 hrs? 24hrs plus overnight?

I think people have different definitions. Sort of like the Vegetarians who eat fish, or some that eat chicken. :???:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I’m sure it means different things to different people. I’m a vegetarian who eats cheese, occasionally eggs and has a leather shoes and belts fetish. I also eat fish every once in a while, but rarely and for complicated reasons that even I don’t understand.

Fasting for me is no food. Solid food that is. Beer, wine, jungle juice I don’t include. So I simply cut out all of the meals.

I realise that there are a lot of calories in beer but my mind appears to require a certain amount of alcohol in the evenings in order to function at optimal levels. But it is a massive calorie reduction and I’m sure that’s why it works. It’s also sustainable which is also rather important.

I normally only eat once per day anyway. So if I skip a day thats 48hrs between meals.

But what I’ve never understood about that is why, after skipping food for a day, and prior to eating the next, why are my run times faster?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
carlz

Post by carlz »

It could be that you are in Ketosis and burning fat, so you don't get a carb letdown (you are running long distances right?)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

When I was measuring that I was running 20km most days. It’s very surprising for me. However I don’t feel that I was simply burning fat. I know what that feels like from Ironman.

I think most people just eat too much and this idea that you somehow need three meals a day to function is nonsense. The truth is that if many people ate less they would actually be more active.

Right time for breakfast! :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:47 pm When I was measuring that I was running 20km most days. It’s very surprising for me. However I don’t feel that I was simply burning fat. I know what that feels like from Ironman.

I think most people just eat too much and this idea that you somehow need three meals a day to function is nonsense. The truth is that if many people ate less they would actually be more active.

Right time for breakfast! :D

Cheers, Paul
I'm absolutely certain about many people eating too much: witness the levels of obesity in many populations. I am certain, though, that different people have different metabolisms and that one is genetically predisposed to being either a 'fattipuff' or a 'skinnifer' (as one of my old schoolmasters called them). I sure, also, that one's metabolism changes with age. Certainly, I was much more physically active in my rugby-playing days, but then I think of the amount of food and beer I packed away in those days but was carrying very little 'spare'.

I'm sure you're right, Paul, that most people would feel more active if they ate less. Just nearing the end of another all-week fast, BTW. Feeling pretty good.

Cheers,
Tony
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Christ. I bet the weight is shredding off you! :)

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Manshit”