PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Litter

Moderator: Haggisboy

James9118
Answers: 0

Litter

Post by James9118 »

Tracy and I walked to the local co-op this afternoon to pick up some supplies after our weekend away with the BFCC. On the way back we ended up following a group of teenagers who came out of the same shop. Within 150 metres they were jettisoning various packaging without a care in the world. They turned down the path by the river, our usual short cut home, but I couldn't stand to walk behind them anymore so I took the long way round. I hate to think what the river bank is going to be like tomorrow after a scorching hot bank holiday weekend. :evil: :evil: :evil: There's no hope.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Litter

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

I cannot understand why anyone would do this. It baffles me. I think packaging needs to change. Make it more easily reusable, like glass bottles once were and stick a high deposit on the price (£1). If it’s wrapping paper it should be degradable. Put high fines on people who litter with community service time.

As I’ve travelled some places are very clean. Singapore for example…
The maximum fine for each littering act is $2,000 for the first court conviction, $4,000 for the second conviction and $10,000 for the third or subsequent conviction. The court may also issue a Corrective Work Order in addition to any court fines meted out.4 Feb 2021
Parts of Canada and Australia are relatively clean – the states where they pay deposits. Cycling across Australia I noticed a huge difference between states with deposits on bottles compared to those who didn’t.

So it can be fixed. Education doesn’t appear to work as well as the carrot and the stick.

Cheers, Paul

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/si ... a-14793342
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carol
Answers: 0

Re: Litter

Post by Carol »

There is a general lack of respect for the environment. The problem is a lack of good parenting from early on. Your child litters so you make them pick it up plus two other pieces of trash (then sanitize their hands if needed). And teach your child to proudly say "Because it's the right thing to do." Maybe as adults, they will do the right thing, but at least they will know better.
But where you can't legislate values, you can legislate behavior to some degree without infringing upon "freedom." So big fines for littering makes sense because it doesn't infringe upon your freedom, but gives you incentive to do what your parents didn't teach you.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.

Return to “Manshit”