PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

lifevests - personal safety

Moderator: Haggisboy

t.z.
Answers: 0

lifevests - personal safety

Post by t.z. »

I can't help it, but I am pretty worried seeing people without life vests on boats. In Norway in the first 6 months more people died by drowning than in car accidents. Staggering numbers.

You can read all the statistics here. https://www.redningsselskapet.no/drukning/

The numbers speak a clear message ... I do not comment as I am not here to discuss this. I am just mentioning it. Everybody should put his brains in gear and be sensible.

You can hate me now ...
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: lifevests - personal safety

Post by Paul Arden »

An even bigger thing for me is learning to swim. The first thing I ask guiding clients or casting students is are they strong swimmers? (Not just can they swim, but are they confident, which is quite different). If they aren’t then I recommend they get lessons (it made a huge difference to my life) and also not only should they wear life jackets in boats but also when wading rivers. I would also recommend that fishing guides get the Bronze Medallion life saving certification and keep up to date with their first aid (resuscitation and so on).

As far as life jackets go here where I am, I think they are unnecessary for swimmers. The water is 28-32C depending on the time of year and we swim in the lake multiple times each day, we don’t wear heavy clothing or boots in the boat and in 8 years I’ve fallen out only once! However I always provide life vests for those who need them. A surprising number of people in this part of the world can’t swim and I’m pleased to say that they all bring life preservers.

However it’s different elsewhere particularly when dealing with cold water and fishing while wearing multiple layers of clothing.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi TZ

You definitely have some good points!

I have never really seen the need to purchase a life vest, as I have only fished from a boat maybe 7-8 times in my life. And I have only fished from a belly boat maybe 4-5 times in my life (For some reason, I’ve found that I absolutely hate fishing from belly boats…). But I absolutely do know that it’s a good idea to wear them!

But I can see the point when it comes to fast flowing rivers! I remember a few years ago, when I was wading a fast current up to around my belly in the river Gaula in Norway. Suddenly I lost my footing on a big slippery rock, and fell under and was swept for about 15 meters by the current. I think it was my swimming abilities (Like Paul said) that was the only reason why I managed to keep my head above the water… Anyway, I eventually got back on my feet, and made it to the shore, while being completely wet from my feet to my chin. What probably surprised me the most, was that when I got up, I was still clutching my fly rod in my right hand…
Anyway, this experience definitely gave me a lot of respect for wading in fast flowing rivers, and I didn’t get in any deeper than my knees for the rest of that week…

So, if I am to fish a fast flowing river ever again, I will definitely consider purchasing AND wearing a life vest!!! Also, It’s not like I’m getting any younger…

So It’s an important point you are bringing up!

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Rivers are by far the most dangerous for me. I used to regularly miss crossings in NZ. A few times I was really very lucky indeed, by which I mean not going over a waterfall. One trip I fished through a gorge with Deano and at the very top of the gorge was a crossing I simply couldn’t make. Deano managed to hop across with his elephant legs. Me on the other hand failed to cross four times, each time getting washed over and into my own bank. Rivers are very sore places!! Ultimately I ran a white water set of rapids which I knew I would get across even if I couldn’t stay upright*. It’s not something I ever want to repeat but the feeling of invincibility and knowing exactly what I could and couldn’t cross was an invaluable lesson to me. It’s actually quite amazing what you can cross when committed and full of adrenaline. Looking back now I’m sure we should have worn helmets for this sort of fishing. Missing a crossing in a gorge could be the end of your trip.

https://www.sexyloops.com/picofday/tran ... on33.shtml

When you do find yourself being washed downstream the most important thing is to keep your cool, keep your arms down and tuck your legs up. Use your arms to steer and your feet to bounce off things.

Anyway the big thing for me is to learn to swim well. It’s all technique. I got lessons when I was 27 so I could swim triathlons. I got my Bronze Medallion life saving certificate two years ago so I can have the conference to help people in trouble. I can’t stress how much the first changed my life. It’s really excellent for confidence knowing you can swim 5 or 10KM and not be so shagged afterwards that you can’t run a marathon. Swimming is actually not tiring unless you are going flat out. If you have learned your breathing technique it is no more hard work than walking. Bizarrely we all float. It’s panic that causes people to drown. But – and it’s is a big BUT – it also depends on water temperature. 30C water and you can float around all day. Cold water on the other hand will sap your energy very quickly indeed. And anything approaching zero will give you very little time indeed.

Cheers, Paul

* the alternative was a huge hike out, back down the river and a night in the bush. It was touch and go. But I was certain I could cross the rapids. Which I did and then caught an 8lb trout :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

On the flats I carry a baby's paddling pool in the leg pocket of my trousers (it packs down really small). This is used for putting the tackle in when it comes to getting to a spot that requires a swim - stuff goes in the blow-up pool and then I push it ahead of me like a float. Not much use in an emergency I know, but a handy hint for the more enthusiastic DiY-ers.
7-floating baby pool 1.jpg
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You could up your game with a jet ski, James.
E6AA2D01-7E6D-42DB-8EEA-D2AE81FCCC41.jpeg
E6AA2D01-7E6D-42DB-8EEA-D2AE81FCCC41.jpeg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
https://www.sexyloops.com/blog/2009/08/ ... ht-return/

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

It's like wearing protective eye wear when fishing. Just fucking do it - you're not invincible and you won't live forever! And if you die, your fishing days are over and they might also be if you lose and eye.

It *can* happen, I know it, I've been through it!

Lars
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

You can't swim when you're knocked unconscious. That whole swim / cold water argumentation is utter bullshit and pretty brainless. Sorry. Read the statistics I have shared and learn a lesson or two. It's like arguing against seatbelts. Just plain stupid.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If you are knocked unconscious then you’ll need a self-inflating life jacket that turns your head upright and supports it. If you think this might be you then I would definitely recommend investing in a proper jacket and keeping it tiptop. Manual inflation will be of no use of course, because you’ll be unconscious. A buoyancy aid will also be of no use because it won’t turn you over and support your head. Have a look at some of the sailing shops. They are about 250-300 Euros.

Water temp makes a huge difference. Some temperatures you won’t survive 20 minutes. Others you can spend all day in.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Yes, I am talking about self inflating life vests. Buoyance aids won't cut it. I know that they are rather expensive. I bought 8 of them to have for my clients and ourselves. In Norway they seem sell for a little less though. However, sounds like a rather funny argument spending at least twice as much on a rod pluss even more on wading gear and then leave out the most essential piece of kit. I am convinced now that is a sensible guides obligation is to insist on protective gear. Originally I bought the self inflating ones as they are less obtrusive. The other foam jobs are uncomfortable to wear. Konstanse, being Norwegian and grown up with boats always insisted on wearing vests. I thought it was sort of uncool too in the beginning, but when the first thing you hear with every fishing season is the news of people dying by falling out of boats, then one eventually wakes up. So far 57 people have drowned in 2021 in Norway and the year isn't over. However, the good news is that it is 17% less than 2020. It is a serious issue and therefore I get so annoyed and harsh. I do not want to see something happening to people I hold dear to my heart ... like most of you guys ... specifically Ashley ;-) I see that she's smart and wearing eye protection. Brilliant. How about a life vest? Self inflating of course. You can get them is cool colours too ;-)

Return to “Manshit”