PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Board upgrade

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Re: Board upgrade

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:31 am

At some point today I'l have to temporarily close this Board while I load and then upgrade the old Board. As part of the process it means running an older PHP version.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:13 pm

For temporarily, read: this might take some time :)

Flycasting Definitions

piffilus

Post by piffilus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Couldn't log in 10 minutes ago, SQL error something... Now it works again. I hope you will be successful in getting the old board up :)

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Yep. I have to set the server back to some incompatible settings for this later Board. When I work out what they are you can expect that message for a few hours!

Flycasting Definitions

piffilus

Post by piffilus » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Okay, keep up the good work mate.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:26 pm

OK I didn't have to close the Board. Old Board archive has been successfully recovered. I now have quite a bit of work... Yay!!

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:39 pm

Success! Now I just have to make it look sexy I’ll post a link to it from the drop down links menu tonight.

Sorry it took so bloody long, but I knew it would take a while and I didn’t want to only get half way through it! Just as well actually because I was planning on three days and it’s taken six.

There might be a few issues with avatars, smilies and attachments which I’ll work through tonight. I’ve noticed that a lot of external links eg to photobucket which are broken. If the image is there it shows - so that’s an external problem. Makes me think we should force image uploads.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:06 pm

http://sexyloops.co.uk/archivedboard/index.php

Attachments are not currently attached, but I'm working on this. The rest should be working just fine as an archived/locked/read only Board. Hope so!!! There is a link to it in the quick links drop down menu.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Thanks Paul

It works, I can find the threads with Dr Bill (he must be 92 today).

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:19 am

OK the attachments are now working. I had some help from a php guru - and just as well otherwise I'd still be fiddling around with the database :D

It was rather complicated because the conversion software converts from a ikonboard tar backup to phpbb2. I didn't have a tar backup, only the SQL file. Fortunately many years ago this guy, Tom, had written a script to convert from SQL to tar on Windows. He managed to find it by emailing one of the guys he had previously sent it to (also with a large Board). I don't have windows so Tom did the conversion for me. I uploaded to a fresh install of phpbb2, reordered the forums and got that working and then made the convention to phpBB3.2 (the latest phpBB software, which this Board is running on). And then a number of things weren't working - but they are now!!!

The final thing I have to do is get the avatars displaying at normal size. But apart from that we are all good.

There are missing images - these are links to websites and photo bucket etc that have been deleted or moved. I'm quite inspired by this and in Hungary I have a hard disk drive with the first Board on forum software. That is a tar backup. I would love to rebuild that one as well.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Announcements”