PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Site rebuild

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Site rebuild

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

It’s time for a Sexyloops rebuild. There is a lot of old content on Sexyloops that needs properly archiving (some permanently!). Also the navigation needs sorting (I’m thinking Glossary for this). Basically I have a shit load of work to do. I’m also going to need some help.

Any thoughts you have on this would be appreciated. I’m anticipating a significant jump in traffic at the middle/end of next year. Particularly non-angling traffic who might be interested in our world.

I really want to get picofday daily again, which means advanced loading of images. I need to find a few road maps through Sexyloops particularly for beginners. It might be an idea to label content beginner/intermediate/advanced.

Anyway if you have any ideas then please list them below.

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carol
Answers: 0

Re: Site rebuild

Post by Carol »

Will the glossary have links to, say, masterclass content? That might be helpful.
The search feature is helpful and I wonder if it would be even more helpful to have an option of basic versus in-depth discussion -- although I have no idea how that would done nor how any existing discussion could be rated except by length. Some discussions are pretty esoteric and might leave the reader scratching their head. Too bad there's not a "Paul's Choice" tag you can apply to a discussion, like "Amazon's Choice."
If you find a way I can help, I'd be happy to give it a whirl.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Be careful what you offer there Carol. Most people involved in Sexyloops become mentally imbalanced. Look at Lars for example :p

What I’m actually looking at here is how would non fly anglers navigate Sexyloops. Or more precisely how to steer them through the maze. I think we have an interesting opportunity coming up next year.

Certainly I see a significant expansion of our core readership. There probably needs to be some pruning of old content too. But mostly it’s organisation – which is of course one of my strengths. In fact if anything I’m probably the most organised angler on the planet. Where most people see chaos, I see order.

More in a bit. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Paul,
There is loads of stuff you can do to optimize your website.
Personally I would have a look if you can index your content into a search engine. I don’t mean Google or the likes, but a search engine your developers manage themselfs. You can ask if they have experience with software called Elasticsearch. This is awesome software to index your content and make it searchable on your website. You can then add a smart search box (with filters) which can show suggestions and to which category articles belong. Search will be really fast too.
If you ask me this would be the biggest step you can make to make your site searchable.

Cheers, Bart

Return to “Announcements”