PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The various qualifications

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin

The various qualifications

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:08 am

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread on comparing the different organisations examining casting (and/or fishing) instructors; the skills and teaching requirements, costs, renewal fees, websites, how to go about it and so on. I'm often asked about this stuff and I'm not up-to-date, so a thread I can link to would be a good idea.

To start with, what do we have? IFF, AAPGAI, GAIA, SANA, SGAIC, EFFA. Also we had STANIC. Do we still have REFFIS, Fishcoach? I think that there is also an AAPGAI-Ireland. Spain has an association too - I was a member - but I think that they reformed/renewed a few years ago? And there are two associations in Italy? I'm assuming that on the Board, or certainly among Sexyloops readers, we have members of all of them.

Also since a lot of these associations have changed over the years eg FFF > FFF-I > IFF. I think this should be mentioned.

THANKS!!!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Graeme H

Re: The various qualifications

Post by Graeme H » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:11 am

FFF went to IFFF and is now FFi (Fly Fishers International).

Membership annual cost for most is US$35. I pay a 3 year version for US$90.

Becoming an instructor comes in three flavours. Certified Casting Instructor, Master Casting Instructor and Two Handed Casting instructor. The latter two require the CCI as a prerequisite level of certification. I can't remember the cost two of them, but the MCI is currently US$400 to sit and an extra nominal amount in administration after you get it. $50? All those details are in the links I've posted.

Once a person gets their MCI, they can also go on for examiner status (in two levels) which requires ongoing upkeep of knowledge and skills which they call the Examiner Development Program. If the MCI chooses not to be an examiner, the EDP is not required.

Cheers,
Graeme
IFFF CCI

Will

Post by Will » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:11 am

Hiya

SANA isn’t a qualification, it’s the governing body for game fishing in Scotland.

FAQs on SGAIC (Scottish Game Angling Instructor Certificate) are here.

Cheers.

Will
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Graeme H wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:11 am
FFF went to IFFF and is now FFi (Fly Fishers International).

Membership annual cost for most is US$35. I pay a 3 year version for US$90.

Becoming an instructor comes in three flavours. Certified Casting Instructor, Master Casting Instructor and Two Handed Casting instructor. The latter two require the CCI as a prerequisite level of certification. I can't remember the cost two of them, but the MCI is currently US$400 to sit and an extra nominal amount in administration after you get it. $50? All those details are in the links I've posted.

Once a person gets their MCI, they can also go on for examiner status (in two levels) which requires ongoing upkeep of knowledge and skills which they call the Examiner Development Program. If the MCI chooses not to be an examiner, the EDP is not required.

Cheers,
Graeme
Hi Graeme

Just a quick correction, THCI does not require a CCI level to take it, you just have to sit the written test and workshop, which will both be included if you are not a CCI when taking the THCI 😊
And there's three examiner levels, but the last requires you to be MCI and THCI.

Otherwise nice overview!

Cheers
Lasse
Level 3 examiner
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Flybye

Post by Flybye » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Apgai, stanic,sgaic, Nca, and Reffis all became Gaia then some of Apgia became aapgai. Gaia started Gaic and retained Apgai. Then Aapgia invented a masters (for old apgai's ?) and a provisional for wanna be apgais( or aapgia's), FFF lassie has described their enlarged qualification port folio.
No idea what happen to PGA or EFF. All very confusing for anyone not already involved and pretty much alphabet soup for the beginer. As far as i know, All are private club awards, none are officially recognised by anybody but themselves. Most of the guys all know and respect each other, some think themselves a cut above but thats human nature.
TK :cool:

Return to “Teaching”