PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Essential Level Challenge

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Essential Level Challenge

Post by Paul Arden » Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 pm

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... -challenge

No one has played this game yet, which is a shame because level two will be launched in a few month's time :laugh:

A few of my students are currently training for this challenge. So here is my next challenge: how many students can you train to pass this test over the next 12 months? There can be a prize! Also - it will be great marketing for you :pirate:

I will give a Sexyloops listing of instructors/schools/clubs where one can learn the skills to pass the challenge as well as be assessed. Give me your thoughts on this idea. Hopefully we can get new students coming through your door! And they won't just be coming for one lesson either... and if we really get this right, they will join your club and become long term clients/friends :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Re: Essential Level Challenge

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Thu May 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Haven't got a floating DT6 mate 😄

Still waiting for your clip of the 2019 march challenge amongst other clips 😉

But sounds like a nice idea!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am

What line specs would you suggest then? I was looking at the idea of opening up for 5 and 7 possibly with distance variations.

Flycasting Definitions

steelehead

Post by steelehead » Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 am

I really like this challenge, it is a good set for casting practice - seems equal to some instructor exams, without the theory and teaching part of course. As an intermediate beginner the major issue is doing it with good form, something only an instructor can evaluate. As most of the instructors I know generally wave the flag of their certifying association and talk the talk about all others, it will be hard to find one for this...
My go for line would be a DT5, as I do not have another - so I guess some of the distances (e.g. #6 rollcast pickup and shoot, #10 distance cast) will be tough for an essential challenge, at least for most casters I know.
I generally do not know at what level of casting this is aimed? Being a sexyloops challenge you're probably not targeting beginners?

A really nice deviation of this challenge would be switching hands!

Cheers,
Christian

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 am

Hi Christian,

Yes my thoughts are to shorten distances for lighter lines and extend distances for heavier lines. But I will need to go through the test with different line weights to know the exact amounts.

Who is it aimed at? Well one target group is those taking instructor exams to improve their casting skill levels but with no intention of teaching. The other group - and it’s the same group actually - are those interested in improving their casting and to give them a syllabus and end goal to work towards. It’s kind of pitched in at CI level, but without the teaching and more fishing casting orientated and everything is measurable - the fly either goes in or it doesn’t. Good form will help but that’s not being assessed.

It’s also aimed at instructors to give them a syllabus of things to actually teach instead of just working on form and a few different casts. So I think it’s beneficial all around.

It’s not as hard as it looks. The hoops are 2m in diameter. I’d like to get it rolling because I have options to develop this, give away T shirts, rods and so on. Also I plan levels above - at least three levels. I could put a level in below, some sort of merit badge for complete beginners but we need to start somewhere!!

The ultimate goal here is to create a clear pathway to become a better fly caster. It gives students a very much needed syllabus. At the upper end it will give master instructors a higher casting level to attain that will give them something to work towards and improve their skills.

Lots of good things I think. And if none of it works then at the very least it organises my courses and casting demos for the next 40 or 50 years! :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Fri May 08, 2020 10:49 am

Paul Arden wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 am
What line specs would you suggest then? I was looking at the idea of opening up for 5 and 7 possibly with distance variations.
Brick on a string :p

Honestly, I don't know, I can completly see the point of the DT, but it is a line that isn't bought so easily, as I said, I haven't got one, I might have a complete 5 DT somewhere, but chances are its been cut up for line experiments... Then again this isn 't a challenge for me I know, but still one doesn't just walk into the local flyshop and walk out with a DT 6 floater here, and I do wonder where (apart from US mid west that is...)

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Fri May 08, 2020 11:14 am

The reason for it of course was to get some consistency. It’s not about looking for a line that increases your chances but instead developing the skills. After all it’s learning to do it that is the whole point :laugh:

Even for me when developing the program I used the Lumiline which is an intermediate. So I’m quite happy to open it up and even have discussed this in the intro. I just need to go through it properly with different lines and work out what are the distance changes that makes the test equal. Another option would be to make the damned line. There would be no difference between a DT and a long belly WF for practical purposes with this particular test. It could be done with a MED6 for example.

I would like to see more students learning with DT lines particularly early on. I’ll add shooting heads to the next level (as well as all the Speys into targets). That’s pretty easy to write. 20 Spey casts, Shooting Heads, and a few other challenges.

And then we can make one that’s very interesting :D

And THEN... we can do one that will really test us all. That’s why I had the 100’ into a target left handed. Imagine 20 tasks of that sort of difficulty.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore » Fri May 08, 2020 5:27 pm

Hi Paul,

What a great thing this is! DT floater, i do have one, it's a barrio. However i much prefer your Lumiline and thunderbolt. Maybe switch the double taper to a long belly weight forward? Ballistic, your line, MED? I can totally understand why you want to do it with a DT though.
I would like to see more students learning with DT lines particularly early on.
I agree, far too much emphasis on 'brick on string' lines being recommended for beginners from tackle shops etc....
And THEN... we can do one that will really test us all. That’s why I had the 100’ into a target left handed. Imagine 20 tasks of that sort of difficulty.
You already know i'm ambidextrous, i challenge you to a left handed accuracy task ;) seriously though, it's good to learn with your non dominant hand, i much prefer it for speys rather than casting off shoulder. Nice one, Paul!

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Fri May 08, 2020 9:16 pm

Ok, as soon as both you Nick, and Paul has done that march challenge, we can start looking at the other 19 tasks 😉

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Sat May 09, 2020 3:14 am

😀 I’ll take my tape measure to the ship today.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”