PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Teaching single handed Spey Casting

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson

Re: Teaching single handed Spey Casting

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:34 am

Isnt it quite a moot point to make it a competition about who has the harder test? Both tests allow outside the standard lines, making the distances easier...
And I highly doubt students have started seeking out the watercasts, from reading around and my own experience in DK, its as rare as it was 20 years ago, today....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

It makes no difference at all whether you are in a fishing environment or on a casting court. Technique transcends all casting environments, irrespective of what, and where, those environments exist.

John Waters

jarmo

Post by jarmo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:45 am

Paul Arden wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 am
Distances are measured differently. “All distances are measured from the rod tip to the end of the fly-line and do not include the length of the leader.” Consequently AAPGAI Masters is by the far the more challenging at least when it comes to single handed Speys.
So very true, I missed that!
Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:34 am
Isnt it quite a moot point to make it a competition about who has the harder test? Both tests allow outside the standard lines, making the distances easier...
Agreed, and I don't think that was the objective here. For example, I myself wanted to compare the AAPGAI - which is unknown to me - against something I know.
Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:34 am
And I highly doubt students have started seeking out the watercasts, from reading around and my own experience in DK, its as rare as it was 20 years ago, today....
One way it happens is the way Graeme described: a fisherman sees it being done, and wants to achieve the same.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:02 am

I completely agree Lasse and I don’t think that’s important at all. As we both know it ain’t perfect. It was very simply about the observation that the high level bar in this discipline has resulted in high ability in this discipline and I was wondering if that has filtered through into teaching. After all it’s all very well having a bunch of first class Spey casters but if their teaching is 99% overhead then it’s of little use.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:04 am

Was it measured differently when we did it or is that my imagination?

Incidentally from my perspective it’s been of very little use for teaching. It has resulted perhaps in a better understanding of tip paths and the differences between 45 and 90 degree angle changes. I learned a lot from the guys who passed before me who in a large part figured some of this stuff out - Lee for example.

While I use Spey casts while fishing all the time, I’m much freer with how I use them. I slip lift, I slip poke, I aerielise the waterbourne stuff.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

jarmo

Post by jarmo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:53 pm

I have designed a casting program for our fly fishing club (both SH and DH actually, but we are talking about SH here). Single-handed speys are topic #4 on the menu, after "basics," "improving technique" and "important fishing casts." Once we get rid of this virus thingy I will offer these and let you know how many were interested.

I had a great single-handed spey moment yesterday. I had seen a fish rise right next to the bank on the other side. I decided to try to drop a soft hackle there and see if the fish would agree. The only place to deliver the fly to this spot was directly opposite, with no room for backcast. I first considered a snap or a poke, but this part of the river was glass smooth, and I wanted to avoid the disturbance. So I went for 90 degree single spey.

The thing was, while I have this cast pinned down DH up to test level, I had never before used it SH. So I knew how it should be done, and decided to learn to do it right there. First a couple of trials with shorter line, too much power in all directions, anchor too up and too far back. Brought down the power, measured the distance in my mind, made the cast and landed the fly 10cm from the bank, exactly where I wanted it. No take, but still by far the best moment of the day.

(Also had a situation where Gawesworth's "dry fly spey" would have been useful, but could not manage the distance at that particular spot.)

Return to “Teaching”