PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Long line casting - feet positions and movements

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Long line casting - feet positions and movements

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll give you my thoughts on this, since I often find myself out of optimal position. For me it is definitely preferable to turn as much as possible lower down and try to keep the forward delivery as much as possible square to the shoulders; and with a backhand delivery close (but not quite) aligned to the shoulders.

Consequently I try to move the lower body into position. Feet is best but failing that waist (and actually there are some yoga moves which seem to help with this sort of flexibility and I’ve recently been using them after bike riding!).

That said, there are times when you just have to make things happen as best you can. If we take the centre line for a right-handed caster to be 90 degrees (square) to the angle of the shoulders, then everything left of this I will use forehand by preference and everything right of this backhand. But it doesn’t always work that way of course. Wind and obstructions often seem to do their best to challenge us.

I’m pretty sure you’ll see it the same Gary; I think we do quite similar casting in many ways.

What I don’t like is taking the hand away from the shoulders at different angles to the above. I find this both tiring and inconsistent. So as much as possible I try to “twist” my body into position… or the kayak of course!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: Long line casting - feet positions and movements

Post by John Waters »

^^

John

Return to “Teaching”