PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Reach mend slipping line

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Reach mend slipping line

Post by Paul Arden » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:36 am

That’s great Carol! What I used to recommend with this cast is to really reach out to the side as far as you can. Extend the arm, twist from the waist, reach out to the side to put the rod tip on the water – and make it look deliberate. Sometimes you see people demonstrate reaching only a few feet when you can get that rod tip 12’ from you.

Typical questions you might be asked are what are the uses of the Reach? It used to be called a Reach Cast, now it’s called a Reach Mend - why? And what’s the difference between shooting/not shooting? I sometimes used to ask if it was a useful cast. The reply on that one often told me about someone’s fishing experience.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Carol

Re: Reach mend slipping line

Post by Carol » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will try the extending the reach as far as possible, although I'm pretty much at 90 degrees already, but twisting the wrist could be interesting.

I use the reach a lot, but hadn't really thought about how to describe why, concisely and precisely. I've not used the reach mend shooting line much, but as I've worked with it, I'm finding it extremely useful, even more so than the reach mend without shooting, at least for how I fish.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.

Return to “Teaching”