PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pauls FP - 170 and shoulders

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

RSalar

Re: Pauls FP - 170 and shoulders

Post by RSalar » Thu May 12, 2022 10:42 am

VGB wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:37 am
Hi Paul

I tried to over rotate to correct the tracking error but I could never get consistent results. My own solution was to lean back limbo style on the backcast and not extend the elbow until after flipping the wrist.

Regards

Vince

PS some cracking photos for the family album :D
Hi Vince,

I feel like I have the same issue -- it's the rotation of the body almost 180 degrees and then trying to use the rod arm's triceps muscle to rotate the rod through the remaining arc (from Paul's position in picture #1 where his elbow is bent 90 deg to the final arm straight position). When I throw a frisbee I initiate the wrist action with force, then let my wrist "flail," during the release. Flailing a 9' rod with 70 - 80 feet of line on the end through an arc over my head while going into a spread eagle arms wide apart position will definitely take some serious practice! And once you are in the position as shown in picture #1 how does arching the back help? Interesting stuff -- this cast obviously breaks the rule about accelerating to a crisp stop (which I still don't understand why the crisp stop is not needed -- and how a tight loop forms from a domed arcing flail -- but it works, so I am very willing and eager to learn it).

Cheers,

Ron

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Thu May 12, 2022 10:48 am

Haha :D one never knows with magazines :p I’ll try to shoot some video Ron. It’s easier to show the complete package. I don’t care too much about the width of the loop. What I care about is the straight tip/fly leg.

Off to pick up Mika.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

VGB

Post by VGB » Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm

Hi Ron
And once you are in the position as shown in picture #1 how does arching the back help?
It puts an angle between my vertical arm position and my torso of about 20-30 degrees which avoids my shoulder impingement. If I use Paul's technique, the angle is close to zero and it is a problem for me. As you are aware, shoulders are complicated and there's no golden fix, I've had to experiment to find something that works for me.
this cast obviously breaks the rule about accelerating to a crisp stop
I guess the rule was written by people that were focused on the rod instead of the line ;)

Regards

Vince
"The deep truth of being human is that there is no objective experience. Our brains are not built to measure the absolute value of anything. All that we perceive and feel is coloured by expectation, comparison, and circumstance."

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Thu May 12, 2022 3:05 pm

VGB wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm

I guess the rule was written by people that were focused on the rod instead of the line ;)

Regards

Vince
:yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

It makes no difference at all whether you are in a fishing environment or on a casting court. Technique transcends all casting environments, irrespective of what, and where, those environments exist.

John Waters

RSalar

Post by RSalar » Fri May 13, 2022 12:40 am

Lasse is happy to learn that the stiffness of his rod doesn't matter. :yeahhh:

Return to “Teaching”