PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Pauls FP - 170 and shoulders

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: Pauls FP - 170 and shoulders

Post by RSalar »

VGB wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:37 am Hi Paul

I tried to over rotate to correct the tracking error but I could never get consistent results. My own solution was to lean back limbo style on the backcast and not extend the elbow until after flipping the wrist.

Regards

Vince

PS some cracking photos for the family album :D
Hi Vince,

I feel like I have the same issue -- it's the rotation of the body almost 180 degrees and then trying to use the rod arm's triceps muscle to rotate the rod through the remaining arc (from Paul's position in picture #1 where his elbow is bent 90 deg to the final arm straight position). When I throw a frisbee I initiate the wrist action with force, then let my wrist "flail," during the release. Flailing a 9' rod with 70 - 80 feet of line on the end through an arc over my head while going into a spread eagle arms wide apart position will definitely take some serious practice! And once you are in the position as shown in picture #1 how does arching the back help? Interesting stuff -- this cast obviously breaks the rule about accelerating to a crisp stop (which I still don't understand why the crisp stop is not needed -- and how a tight loop forms from a domed arcing flail -- but it works, so I am very willing and eager to learn it).

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha :D one never knows with magazines :p I’ll try to shoot some video Ron. It’s easier to show the complete package. I don’t care too much about the width of the loop. What I care about is the straight tip/fly leg.

Off to pick up Mika.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Ron
And once you are in the position as shown in picture #1 how does arching the back help?
It puts an angle between my vertical arm position and my torso of about 20-30 degrees which avoids my shoulder impingement. If I use Paul's technique, the angle is close to zero and it is a problem for me. As you are aware, shoulders are complicated and there's no golden fix, I've had to experiment to find something that works for me.
this cast obviously breaks the rule about accelerating to a crisp stop
I guess the rule was written by people that were focused on the rod instead of the line ;)

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm
I guess the rule was written by people that were focused on the rod instead of the line ;)

Regards

Vince
:yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Lasse is happy to learn that the stiffness of his rod doesn't matter. :yeahhh:
FFI - CCI
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Hi Paul,

I don’t know if my forearm is vertical enough. Or if that is even a critical component of this cast. I’m assuming the main component is the flip flop at the end—the frisbee move. My critique of my cast is the timing of the back haul. I think I need to delay the haul and make it more of a karate chop move from the elbow.

I know I have a long ways to go. But at the risk of total humiliation here is a video:

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

—Ron
FFI - CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Ron

First of, you're narrowing your available casting arc immideatly after your backcast, wait with any big changes until the end of the stroke. Secondly, you hardly follow up with your linehand, it's a very short and not effective haul, get your linehand in to about chest height in between hauls.
Lastly, stop thinking about stops, they aren't all they are cracked up to be!

Good luck

Cheers
Lasse

RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:14 pm Hi Ron

First of, you're narrowing your available casting arc immideatly after your backcast, wait with any big changes until the end of the stroke. Secondly, you hardly follow up with your linehand, it's a very short and not effective haul, get your linehand in to about chest height in between hauls.
Lastly, stop thinking about stops, they aren't all they are cracked up to be!

Good luck

Cheers
Lasse
Good Morning Lasse,

Thanks for your suggestions. Heading out soon to do do some more casting/ practicing. So by narrowing the casting arc, do you mean any of these? (sexyloops definitions):

Drag: Rod translation during the early part of a Casting Stroke
Drag establishes momentum in the direction of the cast with little or no rod rotation. (Not essential to all casting styles.)

Drift: To position the rod between casting strokes.
Moving the rod to adjust Casting Arc, Stroke Length or Casting Plane. Drift applies little or no force on the line.

or

Slide: A form of drift where the rod is moved along the line towards the line hand. ?

I was under the impression that I needed to slide the rod forward as I rotate my body back into position for the forward cast. Is that not correct?

--Ron
FFI - CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I mean you should aim to drag, rather than narrowing your available casting arc.

Cheers
Lasse

RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:58 pm I mean you should aim to drag, rather than narrowing your available casting arc.

Cheers
Lasse
I can see how that would help the forward cast which at this point in time is better than my backcast. If my backcast was better I could carry more line. It’s what breaks down as I extend line and limits my carry length. The purpose of the video and my question to Paul is to find out if I’m doing the frisbee flick and flop wrist action (FFF) :D properly. But I will try the drag to see how that changes things.

Cheers,

Ron
FFI - CCI

Return to “Teaching”