PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Ci test questions

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Gmstuart1
Answers: 0

Ci test questions

Post by Gmstuart1 »

jarmo wrote:Glad someone bumped this thread up so I can ask some questions.

Right now I have a question about "teaching intermediate casters to deal with wind," in particular the part where I demonstrate a constant tension cast when the wind blows from the casting arm side.
  • I assume that it is sufficient to demonstrate a constant tension cast such as oval (Belgian) cast with both backcast and forward cast performed from the casting hand side. Correct?
  • In reality I would not feel too comfortable teaching the side arm cast or the oval cast as a method to deal with any considerable wind (as someone indicated above) if performed with the wind blowing from the casting arm side. Would it be better if I demonstrated the constant tension cast with forward cast off-shoulder? Would it be even better if the constant tension cast were performed completely off-shoulder? Or am I just asking for trouble if I consider doing this in the exam?
(All academics here, still too #!%£ cold here to go casting.)

Jarmo, I would not do one entirely off shoulder. I just did mine with the forward cast off my casting side. The sidearm cast is required if you read the test document on the web site. If the wind is blowing at your casting side and you don't want to do the sidearm that way, then turn around and do it the other direction just for the demonstration. The direction you cast is all up to you on ANY task. You can even rearrange it mid test if you feel necessary. For example, my right side had a slight rise in grade, so I had them move and I did the varying plane casts and the sidearm the other way simply because of that....to keep from ticking.

Also, go watch all of Dayle Mazzarella's videos on YouTube. You'll find some really good examples of how the tasks should be done. I did his loop formation and control explanation in the test and they really liked it. There's so much info out there now to help as opposed to the past.
jarmo
Answers: 1

Ci test questions

Post by jarmo »

Gmstuart1 wrote:
jarmo wrote:Glad someone bumped this thread up so I can ask some questions.

Right now I have a question about "teaching intermediate casters to deal with wind," in particular the part where I demonstrate a constant tension cast when the wind blows from the casting arm side.
  • I assume that it is sufficient to demonstrate a constant tension cast such as oval (Belgian) cast with both backcast and forward cast performed from the casting hand side. Correct?
  • In reality I would not feel too comfortable teaching the side arm cast or the oval cast as a method to deal with any considerable wind (as someone indicated above) if performed with the wind blowing from the casting arm side. Would it be better if I demonstrated the constant tension cast with forward cast off-shoulder? Would it be even better if the constant tension cast were performed completely off-shoulder? Or am I just asking for trouble if I consider doing this in the exam?
(All academics here, still too #!%£ cold here to go casting.)

Jarmo, I would not do one entirely off shoulder. I just did mine with the forward cast off my casting side. The sidearm cast is required if you read the test document on the web site. If the wind is blowing at your casting side and you don't want to do the sidearm that way, then turn around and do it the other direction just for the demonstration. The direction you cast is all up to you on ANY task. You can even rearrange it mid test if you feel necessary. For example, my right side had a slight rise in grade, so I had them move and I did the varying plane casts and the sidearm the other way simply because of that....to keep from ticking.
Ok, thanks for confirming that off shoulder is not necessary here.
Also, go watch all of Dayle Mazzarella's videos on YouTube. You'll find some really good examples of how the tasks should be done. I did his loop formation and control explanation in the test and they really liked it. There's so much info out there now to help as opposed to the past.
I have watched all of them, I have analysed all of them in detail. I have even downloaded all of them on my computer in case YouTube happens to be down one day. :) He just does not have a video on this wind task (yet).

I have gathered a ridiculous amount of information and planned a lot of casting teaching sessions over the past couple of weeks. It has been so much fun. So me nagging about not being able to cast is not a completely honest description of my state.
jarmo

Ci test questions

Post by jarmo »

I have another question about the exam.

In the past I have taught some fishermen the pickup and laydown (PULD) cast by starting with (a variant of) the triangle method. That is, before PULD, the students have accelerated to a stop, and have also learned quite a bit about required power and loop formation, with horizontal casts, seeing it all unroll in front of them. At that time I did not know that the method had a name. Now that I have read more about teaching, I have found other references to similar approaches (for example, in The Loop).

The official document on the CI exam lists "previous knowledge/skills the student uses to perform the PULD." Something similar is also present in Mazzarella's video on teaching PULD. Mazzarella refers to student's previous exposure to, for example, smooth acceleration.

So now the question. In the exam, would I start to teach PULD from the beginning of the triangle method, or could I assume the student has already successfully completed the triangle method task? (Up to a point, that is, let's say the parts of it where the casts are horizontal. In my variant I haven't taken it all the way to vertical false casting like in the video above. If the student were able to do that, then teaching PULD would no longer be necessary.)

This question is important for two reasons. First, time management, because of the time limit of 7 minutes per task. Second, in my earlier (very limited) teaching, if the student has introduced new errors in PULD, we have gone back to the triangle method to analyse the situation.

(Alternatively, for the CI exam, would it be wiser to simply skip the variant of the triangle method and go for example with what Mazzarella does?)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Ci test questions

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know what Mazzarella does but I would just teach the PUALD starting with the rod tip touching the water. You can thank Viking Lars for its inclusion :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

Ci test questions

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:I don’t know what Mazzarella does but I would just teach the PUALD starting with the rod tip touching the water.
Just to be sure I get this absolutely right: you are referring to (near) horizontal casts, right? (And not just the starting position of the rod tip.)

Edit. Mazzarella does quite a few things before PULD, and then teaches it straight away as a vertical cast. That is, in the PULD task he teaches PULD and PULD only, that's it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Ci test questions

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jarmo,

No sorry if that was confusing. I’d teach a vetical PUALD;
http://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/pick-up-and-lay-down/

I wouldn’t teach the Triangle Method first in the exam although I’d mention that that is what I would normally do. Otherwise you are in danger of running out of time and they are not marking the Triangle Method.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

Ci test questions

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote: I wouldn’t teach the Triangle Method first in the exam although I’d mention that that is what I would normally do. Otherwise you are in danger of running out of time and they are not marking the Triangle Method.
Thanks, much appreciated!
Gmstuart1
Answers: 0

Ci test questions

Post by Gmstuart1 »

I would do as Paul says.....start with the rod tip at the ground, explain the lift and without hesitation the smooth and constant acceleration to a stop at the back cast....pause to allow the line to unroll, then smooth and constant acceleration forward to a stop and then follow the fly to the ground. No need for the triangle method although I believe it to be superior for teaching. I think they should include the triangle method in the test :)

Oh, and make a short statement first (on all teaching tasks) and explain what you’re about to teach them and why! Prepare these and study them with flash cards or the Chegg flash card app and it will make your teaching tasks way more smooth!

Return to “Teaching”