PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

CI test question

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

CI test question

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

John Waters wrote:Always bring the line hand to the rod hand and clasp the line under the middle finger, never move the rod hand to the left to meet the line hand (if right handed caster) and only do the move on the forward cast.
John
Hi John:
When I am false casting and want to shorten my line during false casting, I teach to always bring the rod hand to the line hand and not opposite. If people bring the line hand (including some line hanging down in slings) to the rod hand they mostly get tangled with the hanging line in the reel. Ok, this is for storing line in slings in the line hand and then lengthening and again shortening the carry.

I take it you were refering to just lengthening the line part by part when moving to the next further ring?
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
jarmo
Answers: 1

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

The learning experience towards the CI test continues, and I have a couple of questions again.
  1. I have very little idea about the type of questions posed in the written part. I have been reading past issues of The Loop along with some books. One thing I found interesting is the statement about humidity made by John Field in Fly-Casting Finesse. He states the surprising result that higher humidity implies decreased drag:
    When humidity increases, the density of the air decreases and its resistance against a moving object decreases. ... So [for distance casting] high altitude and high humidity would be ideal...
    Is this standard knowlegde in the fly-casting community? (I suppose humidity has other effects too, like the possible increase in the friction between the fly line and guides.)
  2. I am taking the test with a Scott GS 9' 6wt, and I think I have to buy a backup rod. Scott says that the rod has "medium fast recovery speed" and "medium flex profile." Can someone suggest a relatively inexpensive, durable 9' 6wt multipiece (4-piece) rod with somewhat similar action?
Lasse Karlsson

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Jarmo

The questions on the written test is not at that level of theory, and I guess most have no knowledge of that kind.

Don't know the rod so can't recommend any other. But I do recommend to be able to pass the test with most rods..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
jarmo

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:But I do recommend to be able to pass the test with most rods..
That’s a good tip. So I will modify my second question: Can someone recommend a fast and tippy, affordable and reliable 4-piece 9’ 6wt backup rod?
jarmo

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Strike that last question: found a backup rod and a friend who will buy it at a good discount afterwards.

Lasse: thanks for your reply again.
jarmo

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Greetings, time for another question, this time about task number 17, where we will teach a beginner loop formation and control.

I have heard this task is infamous for lack of time, since it has to be performed in the allotted 7 minutes. I agree this poses a real challenge.

Currently it takes me around 5:30 to demonstrate what will be learned, why it is important, and to explain the different cases of loop formation, both statically and dynamically. I think all of these are required. This is without interruptions, questions or audience. According to the official FFI document and their study guide, I then have around 1:30 to involve the student with various props and correct faults. These faults seem to include both large loops and tailing loops.

My questions are:
  • How much time do I need to reserve for error correction?
  • I think in order to get the student involved, I need to cut down on the demonstrations and explanations. Any tips?
Brian McGlashan

CI test question

Post by Brian McGlashan »

jarmo wrote:Greetings, time for another question, this time about task number 17, where we will teach a beginner loop formation and control.

I have heard this task is infamous for lack of time, since it has to be performed in the allotted 7 minutes. I agree this poses a real challenge.

Currently it takes me around 5:30 to demonstrate what will be learned, why it is important, and to explain the different cases of loop formation, both statically and dynamically. I think all of these are required. This is without interruptions, questions or audience. According to the official FFI document and their study guide, I then have around 1:30 to involve the student with various props and correct faults. These faults seem to include both large loops and tailing loops.

My questions are:
  • How much time do I need to reserve for error correction?
  • I think in order to get the student involved, I need to cut down on the demonstrations and explanations. Any tips?
Hi Jarmo,
The clue is in the opening sentence. "Teach a Beginner student"

As long as you describe a loop and its component parts,how keeping to a relatively SLP, or not, effects the loop shape and show 3 basic Loop shapes.
Most of that can be done without casting. :yeahhh:
Only you can get the timing right.keep it basic and simple an go and teach it to your mates,the cat,the dog anyone who happens to be passing when you are practicing .You will amaze yourself when you see how much time you can shave off.

Regards
Brian
jarmo

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Brian McGlashan wrote: The clue is in the opening sentence. "Teach a Beginner student"

As long as you describe a loop and its component parts,how keeping to a relatively SLP, or not, effects the loop shape and show 3 basic Loop shapes.
Thanks.

I decided to drop out some stuff from a proper intro to the topic. So I will still go through all the same topics, just reduced some of the coherence and motivation. In order to meet the 7 minutes.

I will aim for 5 minutes before error correction begins.
Carol

Re: CI test question

Post by Carol »

jarmo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:44 pm For anyone else having elbow issues, I found this set of exercises for “golfer’s elbow” - to my understanding these are symmetrical and should work for the tennis version as well:

https://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/libr ... exercises/
Hey, Jarmo! Thanks for the link to the exercises. I have some intense golfer's elbow going on that even a steroid injection hasn't completely resolved. Acupuncture and cold laser didn't make much of a difference this go-round. Only stretching and exercises seem to be helping it, along with a brace. If it doesn't improve enough, platelet rich plasma may be the next step. The orthopedist says it tends to last longer.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.

Return to “Teaching”