PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

CI test question

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

jarmo
Answers: 1

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Using this thread for my questions instead of starting a new one.

My questions concern task 11, roll-cast pickup at 40'. In short:
  1. Should I be prepared to complete this task on grass without any additional tension (no artificial anchor)?
  2. Does the roll cast have to be static?
The official document does not specify these.

It is actually really instructive to practice the static version of this task on slippery grass without any additional anchor. I think it really hones a lot of details of a roll cast. However, if I had to take the test today, I would not enjoy the static version on grass with no additional tension. It is not consistent (yet?).

Static roll-cast pickup on water, fine. Dynamic roll-cast pickup on grass: fine (this is what I use for resetting the line if need be).
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

CI test question

Post by Paul Arden »

Good questions Jarmo. Aren’t the tests now all on water? I was sure I read or heard that somewhere.

An alternative to jumping the line behind you is to reach back with your arm. This can assist by putting a fair bit of extra line behind you (this wasn’t allowed in EFFA but I’ve never heard of it being a problem with IFF). You could also take sneaky half step forward to “close your stance”. No one will notice.

It is a good one to practise over grass in any case, couple those two things with Drag (SL def.) at the beginning of the Casting Stroke and Pull-Back at the and you should be able to roll cast pick up that length over grass without too many problems. Where you should never try it is over a waxed gym floor - particularly in the middle of a demonstration :whistle:

But see what an examiner says!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:. No one will notice.

But see what an examiner says!

Cheers, Paul
:D :D :D we will...........

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

CI test question

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Jarmo

Unless you want to bring something, practice it without. I do recommend that, makes you a better flycaster, and being better is never a bad thing.

You have just made several rollcasts that asks for static or stopped. It's a teachers test, just continue like that :)

Oh, and practice it on a waxed gym floor too, it's possible to do it, even in demos, and then you have something up your sleeve that Paul hasn't :D

Oh, and hacks like taking a half step, stretching far back and such, will probably be met with the question why you are doing it, would that work on water, and is it a good way of teaching it? So better be prepared for that ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
jarmo

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Paul and Lasse,

thanks for the ideas and encouragement! Inspired by the image of a waxed gym floor surrounded by spectators, I just did a test at home with a 6.5' 3wt, sitting on a waxed parquette, and was able to roll with no additional anchor/tension. I immediately felt a better flycaster. :yeahhh:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

CI test question

Post by Paul Arden »

Good stuff - when do you test, Jarmo?

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:Good stuff - when do you test, Jarmo?
I have booked one for September. A bit of a shadow is cast (no pun intended) currently by some sort of a tennis elbow I seem to have developed by way too much testing of weird ideas.

But no rest for the weary hand today: went fishing on a very small stream with lots of tight spots. Although I have not had the chance after yesterday to test/practice pull-back on grass, I used it today to 1. roll cast when "backcast" space was truly at a premium 2. pick up dry flies 3.pick up wet flies 4. some mending. Very interesting, something completely new to me, although at least initally I thought of it as some sort of a snap. Also read about it in some threads on this board, but could not develop a real understanding of it yet. No doubt will have questions about it later. Thanks again!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

CI test question

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah I got tennis elbow once. I attributed it to the stiffness of the rod 5MED distance with TCX10 - possibly also fishing with the same rod. I understand now the cause (mostly). Out of curiously what castig styles do you prefer?

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

CI test question

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:Yeah I got tennis elbow once. I attributed it to the stiffness of the rod 5MED distance with TCX10 - possibly also fishing with the same rod. I understand now the cause (mostly). Out of curiously what castig styles do you prefer?
Elbow in front / pulling, but to smoothen and tighten the loops I need to add a bit of translation using triceps / biceps. If that makes sense.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

CI test question

Post by Paul Arden »

Something to try I learned from Bruce Richards and many people including myself have used it to fix Tennis Elbow. Take a wooden broom and cut 18” off the handle. Then hold this in your hand midway along and with a completed straight arm twist the handle clockwise and anti-clockwise as an exercise - like a propeller. As your elbow recovers you can make a longer handle but I never did this. Works for me anyway.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”